[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0443.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0443.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Free will is defined as the ability to choose between different courses of action. I see a lot of arguments stating that free will cannot exist in the universe whether it's all predetermined or random or a mixture of both. I disagree that there's no free will.

If you do a little experiment, and choose between A and B, C and D, E and F, and see whether you're able to do that, you'll see you can. I chose A, D, and E; this clearly shows that I have the ability to choose between different courses of action. That means I have free will.

Any person who's basically intelligent will find he or she has free will with the experiment I just showed.

It doesn't matter if our universe is completely predetermined; we still have free will. It doesn't matter if our universe is random; we still have free will. It doesn't matter if the universe is a mixture of something that's predetermined and random; we still have free will.

How am I wrong on this?
>>
>>9633886
I'm going to need a source for your definition. Is that websters? Blacks law dictionary? What the fuck are you talking about.
>>
>>9633897
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/free_will
The above link defines free will as the ability to act at one's discretion (i.e. being able to choose between different courses of action)
Also, Wikipedia states free will in the way I have it defined
>>
> I see a lot of arguments stating that free will cannot exist in the universe whether it's all predetermined or random or a mixture of both

such as?
>>
>>9633927
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MzW-r_vPf50
>>
>>9633918
Wikipedia isn't a reliable source.
The above link gives a different definition than the one you provided, you are simply reading into distinctly different language to perpetuate your own ideology. Could you please stick to a reliable source that uses your original premise instead of interpreting what isn't there?
>>
>>9633886
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice, you can choose not to decide bu then you still have made a choice... You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill but for me, I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose free will.
>>
the reason contemporary arguments about free will are intractable is they ignore that they are descended from the marriage of christian eschatology with greek metaphysics. the "radically free self" (whatever that means) is the equivalent of a child throwing a tantrum just because "they can".

start with aquinas and work your way back to the greeks.
>>
There was an article some months ago, maybe even last year, where the ability for individuals to express free will is not actually equal. Some people appear to be more capable of acting upon free will than others.
>>
>>9633978
So now free will is something that is acted upon. it is a thing, not an ability. Something (acting) must be done TO free will, as opposed to OP who stated freewill is an ability.

No wonder /lit/ can't have a fucking discussion.
>>
>>9633985

>being wrapped up in semantics

german blood i guess
>>
>>9633998
How is it semantics if it is the very foundation of an argument?
>>
>>9633942
here comes the fucking sophistry
>>
>>9633886
You're not. In fact, we have such free will that we are free to choose to NOT exercise it. And people do this every single day, across all times.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.