[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On post-post-modernism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: w.jpg (62KB, 526x799px) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
62KB, 526x799px
https://philosophynow.org/issues/58/The_Death_of_Postmodernism_And_Beyond
Thoughts on this old gem? how has it aged?
>>
sorry, should have pasted in some lures
>This pseudo-modern world, so frightening and seemingly uncontrollable, inevitably feeds a desire to return to the infantile playing with toys which also characterises the pseudo-modern cultural world. Here, the typical emotional state, radically superseding the hyper-consciousness of irony, is the trance – the state of being swallowed up by your activity. In place of the neurosis of modernism and the narcissism of postmodernism, pseudo-modernism takes the world away, by creating a new weightless nowhere of silent autism. You click, you punch the keys, you are ‘involved’, engulfed, deciding. You are the text, there is no-one else, no ‘author’; there is nowhere else, no other time or place. You are free: you are the text: the text is superseded.
>>
>>9633381
Fuck. Time to reboot my life.
>>
File: 1482908904292.gif (19KB, 486x311px) Image search: [Google]
1482908904292.gif
19KB, 486x311px
Reccomend me some post post-modern lit.
>>
File: frog.jpg (44KB, 637x622px) Image search: [Google]
frog.jpg
44KB, 637x622px
>>9634990
Infinite Jest
Gravity's Rainbow
Tai Pei
>>
>>9633375
Are we sure post postmodernism is really a thing or next in line? I agree postmodernism's time is over, and I've studied some theories but didn't find any consensus; "meta-modernism" and a couple other things I forget the name of.

I have my own theory though about what's coming next. Anyone like to hear it?
>>
>>9634998
Are those post post or just post, though?
>>
>>9635014
I'd like to
>>
File: 1990.jpg (140KB, 634x877px) Image search: [Google]
1990.jpg
140KB, 634x877px
What Was Postmodernism?

https://minerva-access.unimelb.edu.au/handle/11343/34137
Thoughts on this old gem? how has it aged?
>>
>>9633381
>In place of the neurosis of modernism and the narcissism of postmodernism, pseudo-modernism takes the world away, by creating a new weightless nowhere of silent autism.
What's does it mean by this?
What was the neurosis? What was the narcissism?
>>
>>9635014
I'm also curious about your theory
>>
>>9633375
> Postmodernism, like modernism and romanticism before it, fetishised [ie placed supreme importance on] the author, even when the author chose to indict or pretended to abolish him or herself. But the culture we have now fetishises the recipient of the text to the degree that they become a partial or whole author of it. Optimists may see this as the democratisation of culture; pessimists will point to the excruciating banality and vacuity of the cultural products thereby generated (at least so far).

This stuck out, and echoes a concern I've seen expressed by writers across the political spectrum concerning the condition of not just the humanities, but the University itself: that students are increasingly coming to be viewed as consumers, so whatever content is taught better be one which students will enjoy, like, and even be predisposed to agree with.

This relates to the current intellectual dominance of the various children of post-structuralism and deconstruction, such as feminist criticism, queer theory, postcolonialism, the various brands of ethnic studies, cultural studies, critical race theory (originally concerned with law, but has since branched out) etc, in that many of these schools have an intrinsic emotional appeal, especially to members of the groups with which these fields are concerned. You didn't like Heart of Darkness in high school? That's okay, it has some colonial and racist assumptions, which probably had something to do with it. Didn't care for Shakespeare? The patriarchal and heteronormative discourses in the text probably caused discomfort. It can be validating to college students, especially freshmen struggling to find their place, even therapeutic. I am not saying that these schools are worthless, only that their current place is unsurprising as universities continue to become seen as corporations selling a product.

So rather than classics or "the canon", professors teach students books or material that are more "relevant" to their experiences and interests or reflect the lived experience of people with differing perspectives, such perspectives usually defined in terms of the various schools. Who wouldn't want to take the class on Beyoncé, or History of Punk Rock and Social Protest? Doesn't this speak to the students more than Dostoevesky or Shelley? They should enjoy the material so that it engages them, right?
>>
>>9636255
I wonder why did post-modernist and gender studies trash didn't take hold of Eastern Europe? I was surprised that westerners had to deal with such abominations that refer to themselves as 'xer' or whatever. What are we doing differently? Or is it just something you get for being a post commie country?
>>
>>9635018
post-post
>>
>>9636282
The fake utopian systems the equality doctrines of communism and multicultural liberalism present are fundamentally the same and arose from the same source -- jews. While whites in the west are still riding high on the feels, eastern Europeans see it and say, "No thanks ... seen this act before and it ruined our countries."
>>
>>9635018
Gravity's Rainbow can be pretty easily read as a criticism of postmodernism. It emphatically rejects the idea that everything is disconnected and random, for instance.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.