[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did prose replace poetry? are we just blind to aesthetics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: book.jpg (8KB, 327x154px) Image search: [Google]
book.jpg
8KB, 327x154px
why did prose replace poetry?
are we just blind to aesthetics?
>>
Prose did not replace poetry. Are you just blind or you're too lazy to find a good poem?
>>
because we suck and are the ones with heads filled with straw
>>
>>9632912
I think that more people read contemporary prose over contemporary poetry. Contemporary prose is better but not by much. Both are abysmal. I also think that modern poetry is waaaaaaaay to pretentious or just wayyyyy too low brow. Its like poop on a canvas. People throw crap on a page and because its confessional or edgy it is published.
>>
>>9633014
:)
>>
>>9633011
modern poetry is even more disgusting than modern prose, which is bad enough, both are not aesthetic in any way and whenthey try, it is just pretentious shit
>>
Poetry struggled to adapt to modernity. The death of salons and reading groups was pretty much the end of the poets market. Poetry now has fallen into a niche, a niche unfortunately populated by people for whom prose is too had and they think poetry is easier.

this is also why most new poetry books read like high school assignments, pointedly self obsessed, shallow, meaningless, lack of reverence for the language and nature of poetry.
>>
>>9633020
100% agree bro
>>
File: inothtfeel.png (2KB, 110x101px) Image search: [Google]
inothtfeel.png
2KB, 110x101px
>>9633039
>>
because contemporary poetry is so damn bad that most people nowadays associate it with pretentious bullshit

that beeing said I still think poetry is superior you just have to go back in time find the good real good stuff
>>
>>9633075
is literature beyond remedy? its overall quality and aesthetic value has constantly declined for at least one and a half centuries and with the steady rise of mass media, I think we might be beyond a poinbt of no return and doomed to appreciate what we already have, without hoping for something good in the future
>>
>>9633075

its not bad so much as it discourages anyone good from making a career out of it. there are great poets still writing, but they dont have ways to get published, and the "poetry scene" ie. slams and poetry groups, tend to be hyper modernist, rejection of forms, and generally disregarding the whole point of poetry as an art form and not recognising that working within correct poetic frameworks genuinely produces better results. but you know, "muh old white men" nature of people today

free verse was a mistake.
>>
>>9633084

no youre just not seeking out the good stuff. the mainstream press is never going to champion good poets, its going to champion those with good connections. most of the media doesnt read poetry or have any gauge of quality anyway. we still live in a world where chick lit is the dominant genre
>>
>>9633093
can you recommend something? i'm really losing the last gleam of faith in the future of beauty here
>>
Because people like this refuse to put the work into understanding modern formal choices.
>>9633020
>>9633032
>>9633037
>>9633075
>>9633085

>>9633100
it's out there,
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/detail/92681
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.