[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should you take rest periods from books to allow the content

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: fffff.jpg (59KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
fffff.jpg
59KB, 850x400px
Should you take rest periods from books to allow the content to sink in? Would I absorb books better if I restricted myself to only a chapter a day for each book?
>>
You are not learning new concepts, nothing to sink in.
>>
You'd probably absorb it better if you read one book at a time
>>
>>9632805
Depends on the book and why one is reading. I do both personally.
>>
>>9632822
I mostly just read history. My Ph.D is in Scottish history but trying to branch off into other types of history in my spare time. Currently reading Frank Lynns newest book on Marcus Aurelius which inspired my question, as he fires off huge numbers of place names when discussing Roman military pursuits. Because of this, I don't feel I've retained much knowledge of these military campaigns, but I am reading the book quite quickly.
>>
File: Imperium Romanum 211.jpg (3MB, 4707x3333px) Image search: [Google]
Imperium Romanum 211.jpg
3MB, 4707x3333px
>>9632830
I guess revising it on a map would be a more efficient solution than letting it go for a little.
>>
>>9632830
Nice, your PhD. sounds interesting. Do you have your dissertation anywhere online if you don't mind me asking?

Personally I think the Underwood method for note taking and retention is great. I do not know about the speed reading aspect but her method on how one sets up to acquire the information in the text has been fruitful for me.
>>
>>9632851
You know, I've actually been considering this. I'll print that off and mark the points out whilst I re-read the book. Thank you.
>>
>>9632857
>Underwood method for note taking

Could you explain this or link me somewhere?
>>
>>9632896
Whoops I meant Evelyn Wood. Underhill was the mystic T.S. Eliot loved. A lot of people call her on B.S. and whatnot, but personally I have found this note taking style and reading style useful.

I dont think this is exactly her but more so a third party trying to distill it. You can grab her book on amazon. I read it in about a day.

http://www.carelibrary.com/Care_Library/How_to_Learn_Speed_Reading.html
>>
>>9632857
Do you have a link to the Underwood method? I tried googling it but got a lot of different stuff.

Unfortunately, my dissertation isn't online as it was only submitted last month. If you want to know more about it though, it was an examination of the issue of Scottish independence prior to the 'official' wars. Essentially, Scotland had signed away its independence in the Treaty of Falaise in 1174 whilst its king was a prisoner of the English king. Scotlands independence was eventually bought back through the Quitclaim of Canterbury, and the English king's actions in obtaining overlord status over Scotland was formally condemned by the pope. Most historians, therefore, regard Edward I's actions in attempting to aggressively take control over Scotland under the premise of being its overlord as a complete surprise, and out of nowhere. My dissertation sought to reveal that Scotland actually fought for its independence on quite a few fronts prior to this, through many significant legal battles, forgeries allegedly from the Scottish king, and castles being taken under false pretenses. In particular, the pope flip-flopped constantly and Scotland had actually been fighting to retain its independence for almost 200 years, rather than the 50 or so years that most historians settle on. My dissertation was very well received so I'm going to go into lecturing, but honestly, it's a very meticulous and dry read because its mostly just discussing medieval law.
>>
>>9632910
I believe this is the copy I have. Even if you don't do the speed reading the note taking is worthwhile and the method she proposes to approach reading a work is useful. I will dig around in a bit and see if I can find something more immediate for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Evelyn-Seven-Day-Reading-Learning-Program/dp/1566194024

Congrats! Still seems interesting. If it does get put up on the web I would be interested even if only to skim it. I am currently in between going into History or English lit for my masters so I am always interested in reading what others are writing. I also find it interesting that there was so much of a process in what you are writing about. It makes sense! Nation building is more complex than most realize. Congrats on a good reception. If you do not mind my asking, where did you attend and where do you plan on going? I am in the U.S. and plan to stay here for my masters and Ph.D. This was recommended to me by my advisers as they stated that it would prepare me for a teaching position rather than research.
>>
>>9632910
Here is a video of part of the note taking process.

The note taking process revolves around how one prepares to read. I may butcher it, but here is a general overview from my memory. I will continue to look for another post.

First you review the book as a whole, look overall the chapter headings and get a feel for it. Try and find the thesis if you can. Also look and see what others have said about the book.

In each chapter skim over the subheadings and points that the author is trying to make. Come up with some questions that you would like to be answered so that while you read you are remaining an active reader.

As you read use the slash method to take notes and see if you can answer your questions. Write more questions as you come up with them. Do this for every chapter or sub heading.

Sorry, I probably butchered this but it works for me. Then you can keep your notes and have something to reflect on if you are unable to get through the book quickly. It also helps you to remember certain specific aspects of the book even years later. If you keep the notes with the book you can refer to them and find where you need to go within the book itself. My professors would do this with a book they had not read in years but needed to use for a lecture in class. It let them go right to the section they needed and their notes allowed them to relay the information more efficiently. It may be useful for your lectures!
>>
>>9632992
sorry, here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8__U6PPOt3o
>>
>>9632910
https://www.radiantthinking.us/speed-reading/how-to-take-lecture-notes.html

Here is another. I apologize if this is not helpful. I hope it does prove useful to you though.
>>
>>9633000
Thanks! I'll be honest, I'm not sure if I'm that comfortable revealing loads of details over 4chan. I hope to lecture at the University of Glasgow, but it's an extremely prestigious location and its hard enough to get a position as a lecturer as it is. So, really, I'm open to anywhere as long as I'm guaranteed employment - the money really is secondary because I've lived out of a small flat my whole life and I don't really care about huge properties. I'd rather just be doing what I enjoy! If you're unsure on your masters, I'd recommend opting for part-time masters (over 2 years, instead of 1) and working a part-time job too. Therefore, you aren't idling around losing significant amounts of money for a career you might not ultimately want in the end. I don't know a lot about the US system, so I'm just going off my knowledge of the UK system. I'm definitely going to incorporate the Evelyn Woods method - I write a diary so I have a spare notebook, and I'll use the method of making mind maps for the material I'm covering. Thanks a bunch anon
>>
>>9633049
No problem, and I understand. I definitely would not post much either. If you ever do get it up there, maybe post a link or something if you felt comfortable. I recently was doing my own research viewing Ireland as an imperialized country under the English and comparing the treatment of the Irish to that of the various native peoples encountered in Captain Cook's voyages. I ended up focusing on a comparison of the Victorian poor rather than the Irish, however. It was a super marxist paper and I am not very marxist but it was a good exercise. Here our masters are longer even if you are full time. Best of luck, I hope you succeed.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.