[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOUBLE THREAD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

1. Is pic related a good buy? Or should I get the books separately? I like single volumes.

Robert Fagles is a good translator, right?

2. Is "War and Peace" translated by Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (Vintage Classics) a good option?

I know they put translations for the French passages and thats perfect for a non-French speaker like me.
>>
Robert Fagles provides an excellent translation of all three books; his translations are probably the foremost along with the Hackett versions. Do note as well that before reading the Aeneid, you may want to read The Death of Virgil by Broch. It's a long and intensive read, but the poeticism is rewarding. You may well want to start it before reading all three.

I have never read Tolstoy and therefore can't help you with your other question.
>>
>>9632926
>You may well want to start it before reading all three.
is it so? Before reading all three?? That's news to me.

Thanks for the input.
>>
File: 67568568568.jpg (71KB, 528x720px)
67568568568.jpg
71KB, 528x720px
They're good quality books and the introductions are great. Yes Fagles is a good translator.

There is one problem with them though.
>>
>>9634029

why arent they aligned, reeeeeeeeeeee

would scrap carboard and file something between homer and virgil to break up that glaring error
>>
>>9634050
Because Virgil is a step below Homer.
>>
>>9634069
good one
>>
>>9634069
kek
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.