/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rate my concept!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Satellite.jpg (2MB, 3500x2626px) Image search: [Google]
Satellite.jpg
2MB, 3500x2626px
First time on /lit/, I am an amateur writer, writing Science Fiction for the first time. I'm unsure as to whether or not this kind of thread is appropriate in /lit/, so please excuse me if this is against the rules.

Please tell me what you think about my writing concept, any suggestions or helpful criticism is appreciated. The concept is as follows.

In the year 2134, God returns to earth for a few minutes and saves the world from some sort of global disaster, (global warming/environmental change, nuclear war, etc) that would otherwise destroy humanity in its entirety, then disappears. As far as anyone could tell, it's the real deal. God Almighty. The world transitions into a religious society, ruled by the Pope and other religious leaders. After nearly seventy years of humanity living in peace, worshiping God, and being good to one another, a team of scientists discover that God's "return" was nothing more than manipulation of quantum energy/dark matter (the sciency stuff I haven't figured out yet) by a manmade supercomputer, which fell from the sky.

The scientists determine for a fact that the return of God was entirely put on by the supercomputer, (as was putting an end to the extinction event), and go public with this information. Society breaks down and goes into chaos, and the scientists realize they have to develop this supercomputer, and using it, go back in time, trying to rewrite history so that the world doesn't end in disaster in their own time.

The concept is still in development, and I'm fully aware it seems a lot like Interstellar meets the typical time travel plot, but I'm trying to figure out ways to make it unique. Please let me know what you think!
>>
Might have been fun to read but now you've told us your plot you're never going to write it. Do you even know how you'd write it, scene by scene? What are your characters like? Do you have a sense of prose? Have you ever written anything before?
>>
>>9631370
How about instead of writing this garbage you use that type to start with the Greeks so you're not as much of a pseud redditor faggot.
Your idea screams like something the loud insufferable pseud retard in a community college Phil course would love. I'd suggest suicide if you had the depth of thought to be capable of it.
>>
>>9631370
I can sympathize, because I also had these edgy ideas about putting God into some work when I was young and stupid. They were all bad ideas. So is this one. Also, Interstellar was vapid nonsense, and I cringe to think that's now what the general public thinks science fiction is supposed to be like.

>Society breaks down and goes into chaos, and the scientists realize they have to develop this supercomputer, and using it, go back in time, trying to rewrite history so that the world doesn't end in disaster in their own time.

Honestly, this sounds like the most interesting aspect of it. My advice would be to cut away some of your ambition, and reduce the ideas to its bare bones. So say you take this concept, and then narrow it down to one era you want to focus on, or one event. You ought to realize it's been done before. I read a collection of short stories from 1969 a while ago, and two of them dealt with this theme. One presented the idea that Shakespeare got his work from a time traveller attempting to verify whether his ideas were actually his, the other a time traveller impregnating an early homonid in order to spread his own genes across all of human history. The latter was quite well written, too. Oh, and then there's stuff like Hard to be a God, from the same general time, which deals with a communist agent observing -but forbidding from interfering with- a semi-historical society.

You can see, that one idea already presents a world of possibility. The entire pre-amble God as a supercomputer is not needed.
>>
>>9631370
Use the critique thread, there's no good reason not to.
>>
>>9631370
It sounds like a throwback to all the most autistic and cringeworthy aspects of 50s-70s scifi.
>>
hey op if you live in America you can try to attend the Clarion Workshops
And there are three professional SF&F magazines you can submit to: Analog, Magazine of Science Fiction & Fantasy, Asimovs Science Fiction
There are semi-pro zines and webzines you can submit to too, the pay is minimal but you at least get feedback from an editor
>>
>>9631652
Not OP, but I've always written English language science fiction as a European who speaks English as a second language. The main reason being, well, there IS no science fiction in my native language, and translations tend to be very, very poor. In fact, I don't think I've ever met anyone here who reads science fiction in our native language.

Point being, there are no resources for us. I have no real idea how to get into contact with other people who do the same thing, or to make use of resources that cater to me. Even the one time I did NaNoWriMo the group get-together was almost exclusively middle-aged women writing middle-aged women type of fiction. We literally spoke different languages.
>>
>>9631385
Newfag detected
>>
>>9631629
>>9631370

I agree with poster. What if you also started media res? Write this part:

>go back in time, trying to rewrite history so that the world doesn't end in disaster in their own time.

and develop the backstory in flashbacks. If you feel passionately about it write it all out and save the best bits for a later work if you find that the book is not successful.
>>
>>9631370
Fuck your concept just write nigga. You only posted that shit here to get some easy feelsgoodman feels but i refuse to feed your fragile little ego. In fact, it's better to have it crushed. We gain more from pain than we do from pleasure. So put in the fucking work and write your shitty "concept". Once you finish it revise it. Then revise it again. And again. You get the fucking point. Don't chase the feelsgoodmans, chase the fucking chase it's self with no chaser.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.