[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me oh il/lit/erates, should poetry, in our modern society

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: if i told him.png (155KB, 665x769px) Image search: [Google]
if i told him.png
155KB, 665x769px
Tell me oh il/lit/erates,

should poetry, in our modern society
MEAN or just BE?

is meaning quintessential?
is there still a place for poetry?
>>
>>9628631
You can write poetry regarding anything in which you want to, and the whole of society can as well, the good poems will reach prominence unless connivers intervene.
>>
>>9628631
if you write a poem, it means some automatically.

>is there still a place for poetry?
as long as people like words, the sound of words, profound things to quote
>>
Anything written means something, even if it's not much
>>
>>9628631
Oohhhhh
You see,
You motherfucker
Talk all this shit
About communist government of China

Well you see motherfucker
You American motherfucker
We own you!
We own all you when invade with tank we throw you in labor camp!

So you see American motherfucker
Stop talk this shit
About Communist government
Of China
Or you get it motherfucker

And you know why we do what we do?
We do it for
CHAIRMAN MAOOOOOO

That's right motherfucker
We
do
it
for
CHAIRMAN MAAAAAAOOOO

Ooh
OOOOOhooohhhh
Bad Egroll!
PLEAUAHFHGGH

Poem done.
>>
>>9628680
>>9628697
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously anon.
>>
>>9628706
Do you honestly think that has no meaning? Do you know how hard it is to be meaningless?
>>
>>9628710
Yes, amouting words in a paper which no worries whatsoever with sintax, like if they were in the dictionary, i.e. isolateds.
>>
Anything can be poetry
If you like poetry just take any extended piece and distribute it into stanzas, bam poetry attained.
>>
>>9628715
with*
>>
>>9628706
This is Chomsky's oblique reference to Cthulhu "Dead Cthulhu lies dreaming". He references Lovecraft on a couple more occasions.
>>
>>9628631
Well I can tell you that modernist stuff like Gertrude Stein's Tender Buttons was definitely a step in the wrong direction

It's not enough to 'be' - I demand meaning from my poetry. I don't want any more artistic reflections/portrayals of a meaningless world.

I also don't want to get slapped in the face with someone's agenda re: feminism, homosexuality, or politics

We already got a W.B. Yeats so I think we're just gonna have to cope with that for a while.
>>
Hippies brought poetry to a university art, made by people in universities, for other people in universities, and nothing more.
>>
>>9628749
Fucking reconquer it from their feeble subsidized hands.
>>
IMO Good poetry has 3 things. (It has and does many more things, but these 3 are easy to look for.)

It has a structure.
It has a meaning.
The meaning is not reducible to a rational statement.

If it has no structure, it's probably shit.

>inb4 free verse
Whitman too played with structure. Just because a structure is not obvious doesn't mean it's not there. Sometimes it's irregular, but it must be there to some degree.
The regularity makes the poem work. The structure is part of the poets artifice. Rhythm, line structure, meter, and repitition are all parts of the structure. They should all by motive in the poem.

It must mean something. This is the direct answer to your question. Poetry without meaning is just gobblydegook. it may be poetry, but it's not going to be considered good.

The meaning must not be reducable to a rational statement. You don't need to be able to fully explain or articulate the meaning. You probably shouldn't be able to. If you can, you haven't gone deep enough. If you can, why wouldn't you just state it plainly, instead of using the poetry?
Themes might seem shallow later, that are deep now, because our powers of knowing and conceptual framework increase over time. But they can't be explain by pure intellect now, so we go deeper, and hope that people will understand. And our art, in its right and proper state of conduction by the artist, should get deeper with time as well.

>>9628748
This

>>9628749
It is the lamentable state of poetry that this is true.

>>9628718
Nope. Read more poetry.

>>9628752
Deus vult.
>>
File: may-apple.png (332KB, 720x777px) Image search: [Google]
may-apple.png
332KB, 720x777px
>>9629588
stop posting anytime
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.