[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Literature?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Concert Hall.jpg (524KB, 1280x908px) Image search: [Google]
Concert Hall.jpg
524KB, 1280x908px
Why study it, why bother with it at all?
>>
To cultivate focus and depth in our lives. Without these, you implicitly accept shallowness as a way of being. This has never been more true than now, when we all spend countless hours engaging in mediums that breed and depend on this inattention and shallowness.

Also, fun.
>>
File: Seascape 2.jpg (171KB, 1280x894px) Image search: [Google]
Seascape 2.jpg
171KB, 1280x894px
Not bait, I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>not liking storytime
>not liking poetry
are you broken? :(
>>
File: Out of Step.jpg (34KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Out of Step.jpg
34KB, 1024x683px
>>9628373
Terrific answer, thanks
>>
It gives me one of the very few pleasures in my little life. Without it, I would be totally lost.
>>
You may as well ask "why art?"

It is an art form and serves for independent pleasure, knowledge, and more.
>>
File: 1484265631129.jpg (440KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1484265631129.jpg
440KB, 2448x3264px
>>9628377
I'm genuinely curious as to why you don't see value in one of the longest lasting forms of human expression and art that has been utilized by nearly every major civilization and culture in some form that also happens to be delivered through written word which is the most efficient form of language and allows works to endure for thousands of years where they can inspire plenty more people to draw upon them for their own work in whatever field it happens to be inside or outside of literature. Do you just mean why you personally should study it or do you actually think it's worthless? It is a line of communication for humanity that allows us to see into the perspectives of people everywhere in ways we couldn't possible do through any other medium. Do you think studying human cultural history is useless? You must understand on some level how it's valuable right?
Please elaborate on your OP please
>>
>>9628658
Why is it useful to study human cultural history?
>>
Why engineering? Why study it, why bother to move objects around?
>>
>>9628349
Why bother with anything at all?
>>
>>9628349
Why can't normies understand the concept of <<<personal interest>>>? I read because I have a <<<interest in literature>>>. Why do you have the urge to place any activity that doesn't fit the common conception of fun/interesting into the chore category? Why?
>>
>>9628797
It's useful in making the lives of people easier and more secure.

>>9628349
Because only literature can give you an insight into the inner workings, worldview, and thoughts of another person that you may or can never meet.
>>
>>9628411
are you me?

on topic: because think about it; you have the greatest minds in all of history directly talking to you expressing their thoughts and imaginations. You can listen to Homers hymns from thousands of years ago, read poet like Ovid, Vergil, Dante and Shakespeare who's works have influenced culture in numerous ways or you could go play some candy crush in the end it doesn't really matter but reading literature fills me with some sense of fullfilment that I don't get anywhere else in our degenerate culture
>>
>>9628797
Because if no one studied it then a large portion of California might have been in danger of flooding from a man-made lake. Oh wait.
>>
There's this unbroken chain of poets from then till now that makes my stomach fuzzy.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.