[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

good poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

read most of the good german poets and want to get into english poetry now

I've obviously read most of Shakespeare and already ordered Paradise Lost but where do I go from there?

Shelley, Whitman, Poe ?
>>
I wouldn't bother with Poe if I were you.
Maybe go to other Renaissance poets like Donne, Jonson if you like that sort of thing.
>>
File: Johnny_Liebling.jpg (39KB, 515x362px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny_Liebling.jpg
39KB, 515x362px
>>9627260
have you read Georg?
>>
File: ezra pound my ass.jpg (431KB, 940x1504px) Image search: [Google]
ezra pound my ass.jpg
431KB, 940x1504px
hmmm
>>
>>9627260

going from Goethe to free-verse Whitman sounds like the biggest let down of all time.
>>
>>9627260
Yeats, Eliot, Blake, Coleridge, De la Mare, Frost, Milton, Donne
>>
Spenser, Browning, Marvell, Blake
>>
>>9627449
Not in that order, though
>>
>>9627449

>trying to understand Coleridge without having read Wordsworth
>>
File: 1497052536466.png (146KB, 671x519px) Image search: [Google]
1497052536466.png
146KB, 671x519px
>english
>poetry
>>
>>9627260
Robert Herrick
John Donne
W B Yeats
Ezra Pound (Personae)

You can skip most of Poe except The Raven and his short stories.
>>
>>9627260
when you find yourself in need of a short break from that Paradise read some BYRON - top comfy lad, love me some giaur
>>
>>9627469
Good point. In fact, all the romantics are worthy of attention except Byron
>>
>>9627260
people here are just naming names which can be done by reading a list on wikipedia.

The English Rennaisance, as it is called, is the overall best era of poetry.
I recommend Donne and Chapman. They don't overuse Royal or Religious poetry.
The romantics were good but they all died young and so their poetry reflects that.
I started with Keats.

Robert Browning is the best Victorian.

The Modernists are not really settled in my opinion as far as who is the obvious great.
I recommend Conrad Aiken and Hart Crane if you like the others I wrote in this post.

For 19th century Americans, Whitman and Melville are my favorites but I got into poetry through Longfellow and Poe.
>>
Get bloom's or Norton's anthology and find what you enjoy
>>
this thread makes me glad that this board doesn't talk about poetry

>>9628514
the only appropriate answer here. find something you like and then study from there. people can't feed you your own taste
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.