[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Names

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

When writing a novel, how do you choose the names of your characters? I would prefer not to give any name desu senpai
>>
>>9627211
I just shift through names until I find one that "fits". Sometimes I change their name a couple times during the story, if I find a better name. You have to enjoy your characters too.
>>
whatever comes to mind, usually John if it's a guy, not too sure about girls though
>>
>>9627211
I construct a pseudo-language based on real languages I associate with my subjects. I give names for important tools, events, qualia (emotions and colors), symbols and the sort. I then twist and turn them to form names.
Remember to keep old-people names separate.
>>
>>9627211
You don't have to give them names at all. By giving a character a name you give him parents and an entire community of people around him: if you can't be bothered to write all of them, what does it matter what his name is?
>>
>>9627311
wrong
>>
>>9627311
doesn't it get confusing?
>>
>>9627313
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>9627316
>By giving a character a name you give him parents and an entire community of people around him:
This is wrong. By creating a character you give him that, presumably, because a character cannot exist without these things (even if the community is the absence of community). A name only gives the character a face- with a name, the character becomes SOMEONE. You don't have to give a character a name- being a nebulous concept of person is also a powerful storytelling tool, but it doesn't suddenly conjure all these extra people into existence.
>>
>>9627328
How can a person have a name without parents to give it to him? How can a reader know said name without people addressing him by it? How can it be known that the character has both a forename and a surname if there isn't a hierarchy in which both of these are used for different purposes? It can be guessed that a character other than the main also has two names, but if he's only addressed by one of those or none of those, how does it concern the reader to know them?
>>
>>9627211
Don't focus on it, use a place holder like John Doe while you write. Eventually your character fleshes out, and a name will come to mind. Maybe you'll see one somewhere or hear it and you'll like it. Certain names seem to go with certain personalities, like Britney being white trash.
>>
>>9627336
>How can a person have a name without parents to give it to him? How can a reader know said name without people addressing him by it?
You're either stupid or being dense on purpose, since I already explained that in my post- these people already exist because the character exists, not because he has a name.

>How can it be known that the character has both a forename and a surname if there isn't a hierarchy in which both of these are used for different purposes?
That's entirely dependant on what kind of story they're writing. Not everyone's writing a post-modern masterpiece. Most books have a setting in which first and last name are relevant.

>It can be guessed that a character other than the main also has two names, but if he's only addressed by one of those or none of those, how does it concern the reader to know them?
Why not? That's entirely up to the author to decide. My characters only have forenames and nicknames, but that doesn't mean that names are useless and should be avoided.

I also don't know what your point is. You seem to be under the impression that implying a concrete universe is something to be avoided. Which, no. Also, leaving a person nameless can't be justified if the setup doesn't facilitate a nameless character. Since everyone has a name, having a character without a name is irreal. It gives the whole story a sort of dream like quality.
>>
>>9627349
I'm not going to follow suit with the autistic point-by-point thing. What point is it knowing that the character's fling is named Melody Nelson if he only calls her chérie? Why would you include irrelevant information anywhere in a story?
>>
>>9627362
If you're not going to have a discussion, then why would you start a fucking discussion?
>>
A place setting helps decide character names and if there is a religious backdrop that helps as well. Try to figure these out and you'll automatically get character names.
Or draw from your real life; that's actually the easiest way. If you have a friend named Mike for instance who is an absolute goofball, and you have a goofball character, name your character Mike itself. This has the additional benefit of ensuring that you stick to the character sketch as you'll subconsciously always think of what your friend Mike would do when MIke, your character has to make a decision.
>>
>>9627350
Joyce sure has gone down hill

>>9627211
I just pick fitting names for the setting. Avoid stripper, campy and soap opera names unless that's what you're going for.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.