[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: dawdad.jpg (4MB, 2776x2828px) Image search: [Google]
dawdad.jpg
4MB, 2776x2828px
does anyone know who said something like "one should know a bit of math in order to understand philosophy"? I think it was a greek but can't remember where I read it nor can find the source
sorry for retard post, sometimes is hard not having a /qtddtot/ or /sqt/

also, maybe philosophy vs mathematics vs theology vs mysticism general/recommendations of books on 2 or more of these topics?
>>
>>9625236
>one should know a bit of math in order to understand philosophy

yeah and probably back when that quote was uttered the total world knowledge of math amounted to some trig and maybe basic algebra
>>
Plato certainly did
>>
that's pretty much the motto inscribed on the door of plato's academy in athens. "dont know maths? gtfo"
>>
>>9625242

they were probably smarter than you. they knew enough to correctly ascertain the circumference of the earth by watching sticks in the mud, you arent giving the greeks enough credit.
>>
>>9625264

"geometry" didn't mean mathematics like it does today, it literally means "measure of the earth" which has a far more esoteric meaning up front, and its "let none inapt to the earth's measure enter"

http://plato-dialogues.org/faq/faq009.htm

they also weren't autistic spergs completely obsessed with notation, they practiced math by playing music or observing the wonders and patterns of natural landscapes and took pains in what was special enough to be written down
>>
>>9625264
yeah, I saw that

"Let no one untrained in geometry enter."
Motto over the entrance to Plato's Academy

OP here, also looking for something like this >>9625290, "esoteric" math, numerology, etc
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.