[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start with Flaubert?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (9KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 300x168px
Where to start with Flaubert?
>>
>>9624633
Learn French
>>
>>9624633
A Sentimemtal Education.
>>
>>9624633
Trois contes. It will give you an idea of Flaubert's style and wide palette, as each short story is similar to his novels (the 1st has the Bovary style, the 2nd the Saint Antoine style, the 3rd the Salammbo style).

Then, his novels:

>Madame Bovary
The most famous Flaubert, with his unmistakeable style. If you had to read only one Flaubert, this would be this one.

>Salammbo
Top historical novel that may be a bit dated.

>L'Education sentimentale
The most advanced Flaubert. May be a bit steep for a beginner.

>Bouvard et Pécuchet
The funniest one, easier read than the others.
>>
>>9624639
kek
>>
>>9624743
Argument for Education is that it's semi-auto-biographical, and not at all difficult. Lapping up aesthetic information is far more difficult imo as well as an exercise involving works other than the author's on which to draw comparisons, etc.
Don't necessarily disagree with /you, however. Your selection's virtue is that it's short. ..At any rate NOT Temptations and NOT Salambo.
>>
Madame Bovary is one of the most boring novels I've ever read.

Call me pleb, I don't give a fuck.
>>
Start with the Bov. Sentimental Education is just a bildungsroman, albeit one of the best of the genre.
>>
>>9625007
Different in French, senpai. Not so unfair an assessment anglified.
>>
>>9625052
I'm italian but still
>>
>>9624633
Madame Bovary or Sentimental Education
>>
>>9624743>>9625052

mec aid mois avec le bac de francais putain
>>
>>9624633

the F
>>
>>9624633
I've caught you, nihilist! Sitting still is the very sin against the Holy Spirit. Only peripatetic thoughts have any value.
>>
>>9624633
Julian Barne's short Flaubert's Parrot, to generate interest and gain a 'sense'.
>>
>>9624633
madam B, then sentimental education, in that order.

Temptations of St Anthony is kind of a wacky and fun experiment but basically a failure, although an interesting failure.

Salammbo is unreadably boring, 100% skippable
>>
>>9625007
>Call me pleb

yup. maybe literature isn't your thing
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.