[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

literary complexity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: foreverial salami.jpg (959KB, 2000x1746px) Image search: [Google]
foreverial salami.jpg
959KB, 2000x1746px
Some days ago I saw a thread where multiple people described someone's favorite works as "good, but basic". That inspired me to think about what makes literature complex.

I only read literature either for fun or for cultural awareness and I don't consider whether a work would be complex before I choose to read it. I rarely read something, understand it and consider it "complex". Now I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Can /lit/ give an example of a complex work they have read and give a brief explanation for why you think it is complex?

Here are some works I thought were difficult to grasp:
The Stranger - for it's ambiguous message and character intentions
Paradise Lost - for it's heavy use of references and difficult language comprehensibility
Arabian Nights - because of the cultural disparity
A Treatise of Human Nature - not /lit/ but still a good example. "A cause is an object precedent and contiguous to another, and so united with it, that the idea of the one determines the mind to form the idea of the other, and the impression of the one to form a more lively idea of the other." I can read this, but it takes my full concentration and much backtracking and have to rely on commentary at times.
>>
People often mistake complex for good, thats why you get comments like that.
>>
>>9624267
>people often mistake complex for good
>good but basic
>>
>>9624275
The implication being there's some diminished quality for not being complex.

"Its good, but.." statements are always softeners for what the person really thinks.
>>
>>9624264
"Good, but basic" could mean any number of things and so could "complex".
To me complex means "expressing an idea that is complex".
Can you give some examples of the works that got classified as "basic"? In the above context it could just mean "entry level".
>>
>>9624278
It does acknowledge the subjectivity of the judgement. Are you saying that someone's subjective preference is mistaken?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.