[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Intellectual History

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

or, the historiography of the ways in which humans create meaning. Had a course on the subject and I started reading more about it, definitely a fascinating field of study. Pic related, for example, weaves an interesting narrative about Power, apotropaic/anthropemic cultural devices ("possession" as an isolating concept), what it means for something to be Documented in different cultural environments, etc.

I'm sure I haven't understood all of it, but I'd like to read something different before plunging into it again. Anybody has any rec?
>>
b umo
>>
File: ginz.jpg (58KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
ginz.jpg
58KB, 333x499px
Bumping with a wonderful book by Carlo Ginzburg, an Italian historian of religions; starting from the witches' trial in Italy during the Early Modern Age, he traces back the theme of our relationship with death and the other world through folklore, snippets of mythology and iconographical sources from as far away as China.
I've been trying to spam him on here lately, along with Ernesto De Martino - an Italian anthropologist, for lack of a better word, but in my opinion also one of the greatest existentialist thinkers of the last century. I hope more people get to read them.
>>
Interesting ty
>>
>>9625476
I'd just like for more people to be interested in this kind of things, I honestly think many lives would be improved by them.
>>
>tfw might have been in the same course as OP
>>
>>9625892
UGent?
>>
>>9624225
The Hero with a Thousand Faces and The Power of Myth, both by Campbell, you might find interesting.

I will read one of these>>9625314
>>9624225
when I get the time. They look interesting.
>>
good idea for a thread idea, though i don't know enough to contribute. reading foucault's history of madness right now so i've been looking forward to finding work in a similar vein
>>
>>9625944
I've been meaning to read Campbell for a while, might be the time to do it seriously.

>>9626016
At the start of my course, I was given this as introductory reading. It's an article with five historians trying to define the field - if you find them interesting, look up the names afterwards

http://www.historytoday.com/stefan-collini/what-intellectual-history
>>
I just read The Power of Myth and Travels With Herodutus and I really want to know more about the past and mythology. Does jordan peterson also touch on this? I think I'll read Maps of Meaning next.
>>
so what did you learn so far about historians ?
>>
>>9626099
Try Mircea Eliade's books on history of religions. They're available on PDF.
>>
bu,mpo
>>
File: Sidereus_Nuncius_1610.Galileo.jpg (440KB, 741x1175px) Image search: [Google]
Sidereus_Nuncius_1610.Galileo.jpg
440KB, 741x1175px
Okay so, what about a combo of texts? Starting off with the Sidereus Nuncius (or, the Starry Messenger), which is a breezy and somwehat Vernian read, we'll follow it up with Biagioli's Galileo the Emblem Maker - a mindbending essay on the possibilities of historiographical research and interpretation exploring the socio-political reasons behind Galileo's research, the writing of the Starry Messenger and the role of the early modern Court in the battle for the scientific credibility and worth of "hard sciences".

>Galileo - The Starry Messenger
https://people.rit.edu/wlrgsh/Galileo.pdf

>Mario Biagioli - Galileo the Emblem Maker
http://innovation.ucdavis.edu/people/publications/Biagioli%201990%20Galileo%20the%20Emblem%20Maker_isis.pdf

>>9628275
I appreciate the fact you're bumping this thread.
>>
huxley's devils of loudon is a classic if you want a different feel on the same history, and his grey eminence is worth a read too for getting into the mind of power

>marina warner - managing monsters
this is about modern myths, so things like housewives and child killers; her other books deal with folklore on a longer scale if you want something closer to the era of the loudon possessions or earlier.

>sex and punishment: 6000 years of judging desire - eric berkowitz
everything from putting people on spikes for adultery in babylon to acquitting queensbury.

>medical muses - asti hustvedt
references the loudon possession because one of the three hysteric case studies was from there and obsessed with religious possession. it's almost like a repeat case except in a hospital rather than a convent. it's mostly about 19th C hysteria in France than medieval ones

i suppose you could get very meta, and watch ken russel's interpretation of huxley's record of loudon, The Devils, and this documentary for the section about how he had to negotiate its content with the censor for screen, even though huxley's book was in print. there're several other films mentioned but overall it would seem to fit what you're looking for too
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ppqutUB23A
>>
>>9628363
Interesting selection of books, I'll be sury to try and dredge them up.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.