[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Short stories vs novels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: short-stories1.jpg (164KB, 520x281px) Image search: [Google]
short-stories1.jpg
164KB, 520x281px
What are your opinions on short stories?
What are your favorites?
Mine are :
>A Christmas Tree and a Wedding
>The necklace
>The dream of a ridiculous man
>A Gentle Creature
>The bet
>>
they are stories which are short. some are good, some are not good. i think its a shame theres no real market for short literature to grow into besides overpriced journals run by people with mediocre taste.
>>
>>9625112
Examples of good short stories?
>>
>>9625133
Subspace Emissary
>>
>>9625151
lul
>>
>>9625151
eks dee
>>
>>9625133
>Good Short stories

James Joyce:
The Dead
Araby
A Little Cloud
Grace
The Two Gallants

Sherwood Anderson:
Godliness
Queer
An Awakening

Edgar Allen Poe:
The Fall of the House of Usher
Cask of Amantillado
Telltale Heart

Nathaniel Hawthorne:
The Birthmark
The Minister's Black Veil

Virginia Woolf:
The String Quartet
The Lady In the Looking-Glass
A Haunted House
Monday or Tuesday

Faulkner:
A Rose for Emily
Barn Burning
>>
>>9625217

Is there a short story similar to Crime and Punishment?
Or any psychological short story?
I'm looking for something realistic like Maupassants necklace but with an inner conflict, something psychological, like a dream of a ridiculous man.
>>
>>9625244
None that really come to mind, as far as Crime and Punishment is concerned. You would probably like The Strength of God, by Anderson though. It deals with a reverend who begins to sin and goes down the road towards adulterous acts, and in the end is "saved by God."
>>
>>9625275
Ok thanks, i'll check it out :)
>>
>>9625285
Also read The Teacher, afterwards, as it shows the story from the woman's perspective.
>>
>>9623590

I love short stories. They're like little diamonds

Borges
* The Liibrary of Babel
* Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote
* Death and the Compass
* Tlön, Uqbar, Orbius Tertius
* Funes, the Memorious
* everything else

Chehkov
* Agafya
* Vanka
* The Lottery Ticket

Dostoyevsky
* The Dream of a Ridiculous Man
* A Christmas Tree and a Wedding [I thought I was the only one who knew about this one]
* A Gentle Creature
* The Crocodile

Gogol
* The Overcoat
* The Nose

Joyce
* Araby
* Ivy Day in the Committee Room
* [omitting The Dead due to length]

Krzhizhanovsky
* The Runaway Fingers
* The Unbitten Elbow
* In the Pupil

Poe
* A Descent into the Maelström
* The Murders in the Rue Morgue
* The Gold-Bug
* The Man That Was Used Up
* The Tell-Tale Heart
>>
>>9625308
Did you read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lady_with_the_Dog ?

I'm kind of stuck by this statement :
>Vladimir Nabokov declared that it was one of the greatest short stories ever written

Also you should check out Maupassant's "The Necklace"

I've been meaning to read Gogol for quite some time now, gonna do it now :)
>>
>>9625308
What is your reasoning behind Ivy Day in the Committee room? I found that to be one of the weaker stories from Dubliners. It could just be due to me not being well versed in Ireland's politics, though.
>>
>>9625328

It sounds like a good one; thanks for mentioning it and the Maupassant. I must not have read it. My reading of Chekhov is spotty. The description made me think of 'The Man from San Francisco' by Ivan Bunin, which is very good too.

>>9625499

I was struck by the detail about the bottles in the fireplace. I thought it was distinctive and a good metaphor for the powderkeg of politics. It kept me on edge lest someone take a cork in the eye
>>
>>9623590

Favorite genre collections:
Lem, The Cyberiad
Bradbury, The Illustrated Man

PKD stories are pulpy but fun
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.