[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poetry Discussion:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Kairo07.png (562KB, 800x583px) Image search: [Google]
Kairo07.png
562KB, 800x583px
Talk about something you've read, or a technique you're interested in seeing used/using.

I've been getting more and more difficult practices with meter, and I realized I can't think of specfic works that use a metrical pattern (as opposed to a standard meter). I've done it a few time and like the effect, but I'd love to see a good poet use some rigid pattern as opposed to 'standard' meter/free verse. Maybe I'm just not reading closely enough though.
>>
>>9622838
What do you take to be the difference between a standard meter and metrical pattern?
>>
>>9622852
I guess by 'standard meter' I mean one metrical foot being used (with substitutions sometimes) as opposed to a metrical pattern (the only one I can think of is Blake in Jerusalem) where a pattern of different metrical feet are used to create a new rhythm.

' - - ' - ' - ' this is the pattern for the following stanza in Jerusalem (as I read it):
Bring me my Bow of burning gold:
Bring me my arrows of desire:
Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold!
Bring me my Chariot of fire!

although that feels a bit of a simple pattern and parallelism works with it, but I'm also interesting in cases with less parallelism/repetition, but where the rhythm still comes through strongly.
>>
>>9622838
How do you tell the difference between soft and hard syllables? I find it difficult sometimes.

Also what is this image? I love it for some reason
>>
>>9622860
Your example is a ballad
>>
>>9622862
Meter just eventually gets easier. I made myself write 20 sonnets in 20 days and now I accidentally scan the captions on shows I watch.

The image is from the game Kairo, which is one of go to examples when arguing that games-as-art are an extension of Sculpture.
>>
>>9622867
it doesn't go into trimeter though?
>>
>>9622874
Yeah the 2nd and 4th are trimeter, not necessarily strictly iambic though
>>
>>9622891
whoops, I can't read.
so it'd be
' - - ' - ' - '
' - - ' - - - '
' - - ' - ' - '
' - - ' - - - '
right?
>>
>>9622903
You know, it can be read as tetrameter on second look. But I read it as trimeter like you have it there. Depends how you pronounce the words.
>>
>>9622909
Yeah, 'of' having two different volumes feels weird though (if you read it as tetrameter). Still, do you know other works that do stuff like that? I'm think about studying Hopkins's sprung rhythm stuff to see if he does it there much.
>>
>>9622921
I still don't know exactly what you're looking for, but Tennyson is a metrical genius.
All his poems are in some strict meter, but there is a huge variety.
His long poem Maude has a bunch of different meters. It's one of my favorite poems.
>>
>>9622937
I'll read more of him, and with a closer eye on his meter. Thanks!
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.