[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Fitzgerald books besides Gatsby are worth checking out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Which Fitzgerald books besides Gatsby are worth checking out? I hear mixed things about all of them. Are the short stories good?
>>
>>9621775
I used to be a big Fitzgerald fan and remember liking Tender is the Night quite a bit, but haven't gone back to it in a while. Also remember the short story "A Diamond as Big as the Ritz" having an effect on me. Might start with that and see if you like it.
>>
>>9621775
All of his novels except maybe the unfinished one are worth it.
>>
I liked tender is the night better than the great Gatsby. If you read it make sure you get the 1934 edition, not the 1950's edition -- they change the order of the 3 books of the novel.
After the first book I wants really into it, but each book got progressively better.
I don't want to spoil it but if you want to know anything more just say.
>>
>>9621775
Honestly, Gatsby was the only worthwhile thing he wrote. Any other answer is a stretch. It's like he kept doing warm up or cool down stretches around that master piece. Always faintly familiar, definitely beautiful, but just falling short of the genius of that one little book. But hey that's not what you want to hear so Babylon Revisited and Diamonds.
>>
I remember "On Booze" (not a novel but some random short writings/statements) being pretty good.
>>
Start with Tender is the Night and The Crack Up
>>9622263
Tender is the Night is his best work.
>>
>>9621775

I lived in Saint Paul Minnesota for years and have a special place in my heart for the city. And so I have felt a vague cultural obligation to read more of his stuff at some point as a personal amusement.

But nevertheless, I experienced The Great Gatsby as Mandatory High School Literature and I honestly wasn't impressed at the time. Obviously, such an exposure will have a great negative effect on one, disincentivizing further exploration of the author.

My understanding is that his descriptions of posh jet-set life fell out of favor and became irrelevant and resented by the populace with the onset of the Great Depression. Still, the works remain to be discovered...
>>
May Day may be his best and edgiest work
>>
Am I the only one who sees Gatsby as a bitter satire? The films always focus on the love story.
>>
>>9622159
/thread
>>
>>9622804
It's heavily inspired by an old Roman satire
>>
The Crack Up is fantastic.
>>
>>9622255
Yo word FitzG I first read Tender Is The Night but I think I read the 1950 version. When I read it I thought it was shit. Could you give me an Amazon link of a physical copy you recommend?
>>
>>9622469
Being from around the Saint Paul area as well, I do have a big soft spot for the culture of the area. I try to appreciate Fitzgerald for all that he's worth.
>>
>>9626917
Been forever, man. But if I recall correctly it was green.
>>
>>9626935
Responsible for the Replacements thread a few nights past?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.