[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strange Request, a Classic Book for a Friend Struggling with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: l.jpg (48KB, 495x650px) Image search: [Google]
l.jpg
48KB, 495x650px
Basically what the title says. One of my good long-time friends, who was born a female and is a devout Catholic, has recently come out as male and has expressed a lot of hidden confusion and anxiety she/he has had secretly about this for many years. She is also disillusioned about the weakness of women (physically and mentally), and wants to distance her/himself from that as much as possible using hormonal therapy. So in the vein, I am trying to get her a fiction book that could maybe help her toward the Conservative side on this issue to help her out.

So, essentially, I am asking for recommendations on classic books that portray women dealing well with society's ingrained perceptions regarding the weaker sex, and possibly ones that tackles gender dysphoria in a productive manner. I am specifically not trying to get her some evangelical manual on why being gay/transgender/etc is wrong and sends you to hell, as I am not trying to brainwash her and her confusion is very real, but rather a positive story that would help her deal with it.
>>
Orlando
>>
File: picture-of-anne-bonny-small.gif.png (275KB, 400x604px) Image search: [Google]
picture-of-anne-bonny-small.gif.png
275KB, 400x604px
>had you fought like a man, you need not have been hang'd like a dog
>>
>>9620500
The Bible
>>
>>9620501
I've read a bit about Orlando. Isn't it written by an author from the Bloomsbury Group, who were radically liberal?
>>
Tell her to read this passage from Goddard's _Meaning of Shakespeare_, on Shakespeare's perception of femininity and masculinity:
https://books.google.com/books?id=hCVK80aaDH0C&pg=PA20&lpg=PA21&
(pg. 20, the part on Venus and Adonis)

In the same vein, she should read up on the Romantic ideal of androgyny, particularly in Coleridge, Wordsworth.
Examples:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/3200671
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01440358308586184?journalCode=fprs20

It would only depress her to read Paglia, I think, but some of Paglia's coverage of lesbian artists (so, by extension, "queer" women), who "have access to the muse" (the impulse to self-mutilation for beauty and ambition) while retaining the chthonic aspects of their femininity. Especially Dickinson. But the rest of the book paints a bleak picture of women - the majority, in Paglia's eyes, are doomed to recess into their chthonic natures, to be encompassed by their own primeval femininity and not be able to escape it.

A good corrective to Paglia is Wollstonecraft, who wrote _Vindication of the Rights of Women_ in response to Rousseau, to rebuke him for not thinking women can be every bit the self-determining, promethean, enlightenment heroes that men can. It's pretty stirring, because she says that the promethean project of self-determination is universal. She compares women's feckless femininity with the state of rich brats, who are spoiled by not being spurred to noble deeds, etc.

I would recommend that she be very careful about transitioning. Paglia has said numerous times that she was an outcast in her youth with massive gender dysphoria, because she was the "only dyke at Yale in the 1960s" and her complete lack of femininity and masculine/virago boundless energy just irritated men. She said that she would definitely have transitioned, but now she's glad she didn't.

The tldr: The full romantic (in the philosophical/artistic sense) depth of femininity hasn't been developed, because it's been smothered in a second nature of learned helplessness. Women are, right now, to their potential and fully realized selves, as men ten thousand years ago were to modern men. If you looked at neolithic men you would probably say "wow, these guys are just retarded thug rapists, barely constrained. Masculinity is a barbaric dead end." But then we have Shakespeares, because masculinity had time to integrally develop to its full potential. Women have simply been robbed of this opportunity.

Also please ask your friend how I can get her to dom me. Thank you.
>>
>>9620500
Thank you for reminding me once again that humanity is utterly sick and that science will be our own undoing.
>>
>>9620556
It was written by Virginia Wolfe (who was part of the Bloomsbury group). She is the one of the 5 female writers I enjoy.
>>
>>9620500
Self by Yann Martel
>>
>>9620592
I understand that it may be a classic book, but I'd prefer one that doesn't support liberal views on gender.
>>
>>9620612
>ftm hormone replacement freak show
>no liberal values please
jej
>>
Try to get her some help. She is struggling with a serious mental disorder. Do not encourage her delusions
>>
>>9620500
>ha ha looking for a friend ha ha
>>
Middlesex
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.