[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: wandp.jpg (20KB, 230x346px) Image search: [Google]
wandp.jpg
20KB, 230x346px
Should I?
>>
>>9619937

Yes, but skip the philosophy chapters.
>>
>>9619946
>Skipping chapters
pleb

>skipping philosophical chapters
brainlet detected
>>
>>9619946
Don't come back here
>>
>>9619937
no. waste of time written by a moralizing slave rapist. plotfags pretend they don't read it for plot, and no historians take it seriously, philosophers know him to be ridiculous and hypocritical, and everyone else secretly prefers Dostoevsky.
>>
A novel shouldn't have 1000+ pages, what the fuck is this?

If you can't convey your intentions in less than 300 pages ( 400 is really pushing it ) then you're a brainlet.

That's why short stories are even better than novels, Gogol, Pushkin, Maupassant, Balzac, are all geniuses in their fields.
>>
>>9619955
>>9619958
You don't just outright stop the plot in order to explain your philosophical ideas. That's just plain poor story-telling, which is a shame because Tolstoy was a very good storyteller otherwise.
>>
File: 9780191735004.jpg (10KB, 164x243px) Image search: [Google]
9780191735004.jpg
10KB, 164x243px
Anyone got the book?
I can't find it anywhere, would really help me.
>>
>>9620051
Read the whole thing or read none of it.
>>
>>9619937
Not in that translation
>>
>>9619946
reeeeee
>>
>>9620051
This has to be bait
>>
File: 1492499102969.gif (2MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1492499102969.gif
2MB, 540x540px
>>9620098
I respectfully disagree. The Pevear/Volokhonsky team are my favorites. Any other version of Master and Margarita is unreadable. Bump for glorious Russian lit master race.
>>
>>9619937
Worth the read, but other Russians capture the Zeitgeist better. Dostoevsky is my personal favorite... I find that most people are either Tolstoy die hards or Dostoevsky fanboys. Very little middle ground.
>>
>>9619937
Yes you fucking faggot
Side note never make another fucking thread asking if you should read something that's in the fucking cannon. This should not require explanation.

>>9619946
please kys immediately

>>9619966
Morality is literally written into the fucking title you fucking moron

>>9619969
Ok look, Tolstoy is making some really big claims about history and man's place in the world all centering on the enormity of history and the incomprehensibility of the forces and causal relationships that move it. To that end the large cast and the length of the book itself help to demonstrate that the actions of any one person cannot be reduced to any one event or any other singular cause. Likewise it's also is trying to show that any event in history is similarly irreducible to any one person's influence (i.e. Napoleon).
>>
>>9620200
you seem miserable and should probably consider suicide or at least watch a ted talk about suicide
>>
>>9619937
yeah. I watched the BBC series before. helps a lot with the characters and plot
>>
Yes, but try to get this version. Oxford is always the better publisher, and P&V have a stilted and literalistic method of translating that wouldn't be too appealing for a first time reader
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.