[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are genres like Steampunk dead /lit/? Are there any entries in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: Kuutei Dragons.png (4MB, 1112x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Kuutei Dragons.png
4MB, 1112x1600px
Are genres like Steampunk dead /lit/? Are there any entries in even related genres like diesel/bio/etc-punk that hold up under speculative fiction, and are at all realistic?

I'm just pained because the whole aesthetic is awesome and makes for a great setting. I read a brilliant manga recently (with meh writing) about basically whale-hunting dragons on flying ships.
>>
The aesthetic is stupid and so are you. The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi is fantastic biopunk but it's more of an Indian poverty aesthetic, none of your stupid fucking gears, so you won't like it because you're a fedorable wanky tosspot.
>>
>caring about the aesthetic of the setting and not the aesthetic of the writing, in a book
Perhaps try /sffg/
>>
>>9619142
i literally said biopunk in the OP why wouldnt i be interested?

>>9619172
I also mentioned bad writing as a negative for the OP pic manga

did either of you even fucking read my post????
>>
>>9619191
no
>faggot
>>
>bio-punk
The Windup Girl and to an extent Alastair Reynolds' work.
Cyberpunk is alive and well, didn't you read Ready Player One? XD come on OP you silly goose
>>
I generally read books for the message it relays and the prose, not for the thooper kewl setting, but to each his own. I recommend checking the kids' section at the local barnes and nobles.
>>
>>9619172
>implying setting and writing aren't two sides of the same dodecahedron
>>
>>9620454
Joyce would like a word with you

Style >>>>>>>>>>>>> Substance
>>
>>9619191
you're an idiot
>>
Cyberpunk: themes of postmodernism, the horrors of neoliberalism, the limits of consciousness.
Steampunk: “what if I could wear an ugly hat”
>>
>>9622044
>Cyberpunk: themes of postmodernism
really?
>>
>>9621202
ahem
Style = substance
>>
>>9622745
ill allow it
>>
>>9619139
the aesthetic isn't even the main parts of these you retard. There is a reason for the "punk". Cyber/bio/diesel/steam are more like initial premises and settings, that the "punk" part uses.
>>
>>9619139
>Are there any entries in even related genres like diesel/bio/etc-punk that hold up under speculative fiction, and are at all realistic?

No, it's all YA fanfic-tier garbage.
>>
>>9623717
well they're the part that makes the genre(s) unique, so are what drew me to them

except for cyberpunk since that's more directly relatable to me for obvious reasons, Gibson is the fuckin GOAT

with all the shit ton of terribly written post-apocalyptic dystopias coming out of late the -punk side has been of less and less interest to me
>>
>>9623748
>No, it's all YA fanfic-tier garbage.
>>9623781
>with all the shit ton of terribly written post-apocalyptic dystopias coming out of late

IT'S A FUCKING SCOURGE! A BLIGHT ON /lit/ AS WE KNOW IT!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeEEEEEEEEEEEE
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.