[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you prefer prose to poetry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Charles_Olson.jpg (12KB, 200x286px) Image search: [Google]
Charles_Olson.jpg
12KB, 200x286px
Serious answers only pls
>>
the only reason anybody does is because it's easier
>>
>>9618699
Nice dubs. I love Charles. I wish I got to be his student.
>>
>>9618714
Most poetry is a little bit easier than mid-to-late joyce or whatever, but he's memed regularly

>>9618721
I'm a growing fan of his work. I like his cantos better.
>>
>>9618735
I love the Archaeologist of Morning. But I also like a lot of his prose. His letters to the editor of the Gloucester Times and his correspondence with Ezra Pound. I went to Gloucester for the Centennial celebrations of his birth and hid in the corner while Ed Sanders and others droned on. For a lot of them it was the end of the Black Mountain era.
>>
>>9618735
memeing about nora barnacle's farts is one thing, actually reading joyce is another
>>
I don't enjoy spending a minute thinking about each line and its MULTIPLE LAYERS OF MEANING

There, I said it.

I like to read things at a reasonable pace and without pausing all the time.
>>
>>9618827
if ur mind doesn't automagically parse multiple layers of meaning at all times even when there aren't any then u should do more lsd until it does thats wut i did
>>
>>9618827
That's fine, I hope you'll try it some more. Like most things, you'll become more comfortable with it after a while and the pausing will be more of an occasion. Lots of poetry is direct anyways. Not to say that shits less worthy, but it is more direct (and frequently the techniques don't have to be analyzed for their effects to be felt, but for their effect to be explained)
>>
>>9618745
Favorite short piece?
>>
prose forces you to have thoughts good enough to stand being stated clearly
>>
Same reason I don't like listening to French or Italian. Unless it's from a woman with nice voice.
And that's reason, it's awfully feminine.
>>
i dont, i just read it more. need to get into poetry more - is there a good chart for a complete amateur? have read dante, milton, shakespeare, homer, etc. but nothing more modern than that
>>
File: mountainbluebell.png (676KB, 650x796px) Image search: [Google]
mountainbluebell.png
676KB, 650x796px
>>9620130
just get an anthology and flip through it until something interests you if you've already read the cornerstones of the history
>>
>>9620134
does it matter which one? is there going to be material on how to read poetry?
>>
Olson is pretty great. I really admire him, especially as I am a poet from Gloucester. He misses the mark a lot but his ideas are very interesting and obviously influential. Even if a lot of it is bullshit Projective Verse is the go to for making a system or set of rules for free verse. The Distances, The Thing Was Moving, Maximus, to Himself, Maximus, to Gloucester Letter 27 [Withheld] are a few of his poems definitely worth checking out.

He and Creeley are responsible for a lot of the free verse we have today, both the good and the bad.
>>
File: earlymeadowrue.png (699KB, 672x644px) Image search: [Google]
earlymeadowrue.png
699KB, 672x644px
>>9620144
4chanlit.wikia.com/poetry

if you're interested in learning how to read poetry before you read more, there are books on that wiki page that will guide you through it. there's also recommendations for anthologies, and more

personally my favorite of the anthologies are Harold Bloom's and the Norton anthology, the latter of which is readily available for pirating on the internet. I've yet to find Bloom's anthology in digital format for free, but I haven't looked in about a year so there might be one around somewhere by now
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.