[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which philosophers were pro-suicide?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1492881479831.jpg (280KB, 1280x620px) Image search: [Google]
1492881479831.jpg
280KB, 1280x620px
Which philosophers were pro-suicide?
>>
>>9618119
Relevant ones?
Schopenhauer. That's the whole list.
>>
>>9618125
This meme sucks
>>
>>9618119
>were

lol i c wat u did
>>
>>9618125
Wrong
>>
>>9618119
socrates
>>
File: mainlc3a4nder.jpg (31KB, 315x450px) Image search: [Google]
mainlc3a4nder.jpg
31KB, 315x450px
>Philipp Mainländer (October 5, 1841 – April 1, 1876) was a German poet and philosopher.

>In his central work Die Philosophie der Erlösung (The Philosophy of Redemption) – according to Theodor Lessing "perhaps the most radical system of pessimism known to philosophical literature" – Mainländer proclaims that life is absolutely worthless, and that "the will, ignited by the knowledge that non-being is better than being, is the supreme principle of morality."

>April 1, 1876, Mainländer hanged himself in his residence in Offenbach, using a pile of copies of The Philosophy of Redemption (which had arrived the previous day from his publisher) as a platform.
>>
>>9618119
the stoics
>>
>>9618119
All of the philosophers worth reading
>>
>>9618177
Holy shit
This is the guy that I always wished Cioran was. Anyone got a PDF of this work?
>>
>>9618119
The ones who committed suicide.
>>
>>9618540
>le if you don't live by it you don't believe it meme
Facebook-tier, desu
>>
>>9618548
No, anon. Advocating suicide and not actually doing it just reveals that you like advocating suicide, i.e. that advocating suicide is sufficiently satisfying to justify living on. I'm not saying they are two-faced so much as self-deluding. Such an advocate doesn't actually know himself or his own deepest desires.

Suicide itself could be seen as a painful but necessary cure, like wrenching a dislocated arm back into place - if a pro-suicide author took his own words the least bit seriously.

Yukio Mishima is a good example of someone whose words had weight. But his death was more like an editorial decision about his own biography than a fundamental rejection of life.
>>
>>9618119
Nietzsche.
>>
>>9618119
>Which philosophers were pro-suicide?
Basically any that weren't Christ-cucks. Suicide doesn't share its western taboo in other non jewed cultures.
>>
>>9618609
wrong
>>
>>9618618
IRRC he was not opposed to dignified suicide when trapped against impossible odds, or opposed what we would call assisted suicide in case of debilitating illness or old age.
>>
>>9618616
then commit suicide if you can't handle christians oppressing you
>>
>>9618119
Thomas Ligotti.
>>
it's worth making some distinction when discussing suicide, we're not talking about suicide out of honor (samurai), protest (Vietnamese monks), or for control over your fate in the face of certain death (euthanasia, Nazi war criminals). We basically mean suicide done out of despair.

>Life is not worth living, so stop living

All well and good and who are we to judge? But the ultimate test of a philosopher is to ask "do they practice what they preach?" and truly there is nothing more comical than someone like Schopenhauer putting on a pince-nez and setting a napkin in his lap at a fancy dinner table while advocating suicide. The modern equivalent would be Ligotti. They're great writers, but it's impossible to take them seriously on this score.

>>9618177
kudos to this guy for actually having the guts to hang himself.
>>
Marcus aurelius
>>
>>9618119
Friendly reminder than anti-natalism is wrong
>>
>>9618125
Schopenhauer wasn't pro suicide. He just wasn't anti-suicide.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.