[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

akopawd¨ko

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: babby.jpg (28KB, 680x583px) Image search: [Google]
babby.jpg
28KB, 680x583px
WHY THE FUCK CANT DFW STOP WRITING LIKE A NIGGER

>wardine be cry
>wardine says her momma aint treat her right

i literally have problems understanding it. When hes his normal pretnetious self, all is well and good, but when he starts writing liek this, i lose my shit because its so damn dumb. Cant he narrate the scene without talking like a fucking mentally challenged abused downy?
>>
but wardine BE cry, baby
>>
>>9615555
This thread is posted everyday. It seems like you have never read past the first 100 pages because this section only runs for like 20 pages if I remember correctly.
>>
stop reading pomo faggot
>>
>>9615643
Im talking about all the sections not written in his normal style man
>>
>>9615724
I agree they were frustrating to read but these sections aren't very long and make up a very small part of the book.
>>
Is this even ebonics which a real live black person would recognize as correct?
>>
>>9615736
no
>>
>>9615724
you think an author always needs to write in the same style? that's like a musician only playing one song over and over or different songs with very little change. it gets fucking boring to any creative person
>>
>>9615748
I dont, but you can vary your writing without making it shit, the same way you can make a concert with violins, organs, flutes and vocals, playing fugues, toccatas, orperas and chants, ALL WHILE never including the sound of babies being raped and teeth grinding.
>>
>>9615762
well sometimes something grating or heavy dissonance is what is needed or used for some special effect. or maybe the guy just wrote like shit now and then. no one hits a homerun every time.
>>
>>9615790
So the nigger tlak is just there to make the rest of the book appear even more pretentious than it already is?
>>
The sooner you accept that DFW is overrated, the better. I read 50 pages of Infinite Jest in high school and gave up. I've read 2 books by Alastair Reynolds, amounting to pretty much the same number of pages, both of which were written in a more technically demanding style than anything I read in IJ or The Broom of the System, both of which touched on deeper themes than DFW gets to, neither of which fundamentally fails in completing the ambitious projects underlying their plots and structures, but neither of which received anything like the amount of praise or intellectual labor that has gone toward Infinite Jest and its interpretation. In other words, DFW is worse than an above-average genre fiction writer in every area that counts (except maybe characterization, if you count psychological problems related to turn-of-the-millennium WASP affluence as characterization but don't count Sky Haussmann/Tanner Mirabel/Cahuella or Felka as adequately characterized). What does this tell you about how he stacks up next to the actual great writers of the 20th century? How does The Broom of the System's theoretical underpinning stack up next to the Wittgensteinian project that inspired it? To what extent was DFW anything but a low-E.Q. middling-I.Q. tryhard rich kid with connections to publishers?
These are the questions that keep me up at night.
>>
>>9615831
i agree but i've asted money on this shit so i feel obligated to read it
>>
>>9615555 (Checked)

The answer is no because he is a severely limited writer
>>
>>9615831
And when I say I "gave up" on IJ, I mean that I stopped reading because I wasn't at all interested in reading 30-page footnotes about fictitious movies. I'm still not, six years later. I'm not interested in reading books to say that I've read them. I'm interested in reading books that interest me. This may make you think I'm retarded. Maybe I am. There's a place for footnotes, but I don't understand why this information couldn't be better conveyed via experiences that the characters actually have. Going back to Alastair Reynolds, these are very information-dense books--but nowhere does Reynolds decided that he has to attach a footnote explaining what a lighthugger or entoptics or medichines are. He just explains them in the text, or makes the various functions of his imaginary machines glaringly obvious to the reader. Why didn't DFW convey vital information outside of footnotes? Maybe it was because he couldn't--maybe it was because he spent so much time trying so hard to be smart that he failed to realize how writers of information-rich fiction go about revealing their worlds. DFW could have learned a thing or two from Frank Herbert of Dan Simmons, even--but he obviously didn't. The great task of literature in the 21st century is the annihilation of the barrier between myth, sci-fi/fantasy/speculative fiction, and non-genre literature, just to prevent people like DFW from being canonized as he has.
>>
>>9615871
I agree. I really hated the endnotes.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.