[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the legacy of Christopher Lasch in the USA? How is he viewed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: 220px-Christopher_Lasch.jpg (7KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Christopher_Lasch.jpg
7KB, 220x165px
What is the legacy of Christopher Lasch in the USA?
How is he viewed?
>>
>>9615305
I don't know about the USA but he has a pretty good reputation in France thanks to philosophers like Michéa who were heavily inspired by him.
>>
>>9615322
Yes I'm French too and I discovered him through Alain Soral videos
>>
>>9615305

Just read Revolt of the Elites/Culture of Narcissism in the last month, but am Ausfag.

thebaffler.com is a modern 'little magazine of ideas' (leftist, but anti-liberal, spin; anti libfem and SJW) which has a lot of content inspired by Lasch.
>>
Yeah I learned about him from this thread.

Strange! The vicissitudes of celebrity!
>>
He's not well-known but people who know him like him, particularly Catholics and communitarians.
>>
I'm reading "The true and only heaven" right now, it's quite a big book
>>
>>9615334
>Ausfag

Ditto here, he comes up a lot in my American Studies course at uni. Spammed hard by the head of that department. Lasch! And they accuse us of being too left leaning. Love my boy Lasch.
>>
>>9615345
>He's not well-known but people who know him like him, particularly Catholics and communitarians.

This surprises me and doesn't surprise me. I'm surprised he's not more well-known. He strikes me as similar to Buckley in so much as giving an intellectual face to conservative thought. It doesn't surprise me that he's popular with Catholics, for that reason too.
>>
File: jimmy.jpg (42KB, 319x480px) Image search: [Google]
jimmy.jpg
42KB, 319x480px
Only Jimmy Carter knows of Lasch. I'm sure he would be despised by both the American left and the right. A sign that you're truly on to something...

Just listen:

"In some ways middle-class society has become a pale copy of the black ghetto, as the appropriation of its language would lead us to believe...Indeed the attraction of black culture for disaffected whites suggests that black culture now speaks to a gneral condition, the most important feature of which is a widespread loss of confidence in the future. The poor have always had to live for the present, but now a desperate concern for personal survival, something disguised as hedonism, engulfs the middle class as well. Today almost everyone lives in a dangerous world from which there is little escape. International terrorism and blackmail, bombings, and hijackings arbitrarily affect the rich and poor alike. Crime, violence, and gang wars make cities unsafe and threaten to spread to the suburbs. Racial violence on the streets and in the schools creates an atmosphere of chronic tension and threatens to erupt at any time into full-scale racial conflict. Unemployment spreads from the poor to the while collar class, while inflation eats away the savings of those who hope to retire in comfort. Much of what is euphemistically known as the middle class, merely because it dresses up to go to work, is now reduced to proletarian conditions of existence...The propaganda of death and destruction, emanating ceaselessly from the mass media, adds to the prevailing atmosphere of insecurity. Far-flung famines, earthquakes in remote regions, distant war and uprisings attract the same attention as events closer to home. The impression of arbitrariness in the reporting of disaster reinforces the arbitrary quality of experience itself, and the absence of continuity in the coverage of events, as today’s crisis yields to a new and unrelated crisis tomorrow, adds to the sense of historical discontuinty – the sense of living in a world in which th epast holds out no guidance to the present and the future has become completely unpredictable." - The Culture of Narcissism
>>
>>9615334
>thebaffler.com

thank you for this, sir
>>
File: rlymakesyouthink.png (15KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
rlymakesyouthink.png
15KB, 128x128px
"In his misogyny, Sade perceived that bourgeois enligthenment, carried to its logical conclusions, condemned even the sentimental cult of womanhood and the family, which the bourgeois itself had carried to unprecendented extremes....

At the same time, he saw that condemnation of “woman-worship” had to go hand in hand with a defense of woman’s sexual rights – their rights to dispose of their own bodies, as feminist would put it today. If the exercise of that right in Sade’s utopia boils down to the duty to become an instrument of someone else’s pleasure, it was not so much because Sade hated women as become he hated humanity. He perceived, more clearly than the feminists, that all freedoms under capitalism come in the end to the same thing, the same universal oblgiation to enjoy and be enjoyed."

Not bad, Mr. Lasch.

Anyone read the debate between Lasch and Castoriadis?
>>
>>9615532

No worries comrade, happy to help.
>>
>>9615557
>>9615532
what do you guys think of the new inquiry? I recently stopped reading Jacobin because it was basically demsoc for neophytes
>>
His book on narcissism in culture is a must read!
>>
>>9615532
If you're looking for other quality periodicals:
Harper's Magazine
Lapham's Quarterly
Daedalus (MIT)
London Review of Books
Monthly Review
n+1
New Criterion
Paris Review
>>
File: navalflag.png (17KB, 700x467px) Image search: [Google]
navalflag.png
17KB, 700x467px
>>9615587
>>9615577

original bafflerfag here:

1) I might also recommend The Point (thepointmag.com) as a good one

2) I have mixed feelings about Jacobin because of this, but as an Ausfag maybe American leftism just isn't in my vocabulary/field of vision

3) New Inquiry seems okay, but there is a limit to the number of left periodicals a chap can take at once, so I don't have it on my list.

4) Please, consider greenleft.org.au as well if you're into the latest news from the Emu War.
>>
>>9615595
> the point

looks great as well, damn, when the patricians are posting this site really is good
>>
File: culture_of_narcissism.jpg (16KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
culture_of_narcissism.jpg
16KB, 650x366px
"Twentieth-century peoples have erected so many psychological barriers against strong emotion, and have invested those defenses with so much of the energy derived from forbidden impulse, that they can no longer remember what it feels like to be inundated by desire. They tend, rather, to be consumed with rage, which derives from defenses against desire and gives rise in turn to new defenses against rage itself. Outwardly bland, submissive, and sociable, they seethe with an inner anger for which a dense, overpopulated, bureacratic society can devise few legitimate outlets."

"Our society, far from fostering private life at the expense of public life, has made deep and lasting friendships, love affairs, and marriages increasingly difficult to achieve. As social life becomes more and more warlike and barbaric, personal relations, which ostensibly provide relief from these conditions, take on the character of combat. Some of the new therapies dignify this combat as “assertiveness” and “fighting fair in love and marriage.” Others celebrate impermanent attachments under such formulas as “open marriage” and “open-ended commitments.”"
>>
>>9615673
I think I want to read it again now
>>
>>9615595
>>9615658
if you can read italian check out arivista.org
>>
>>9615595
>thepointmag.com

how do i get by the paywall tho?
>>
File: d1.jpg (11KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
d1.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>9616308
is this diego's magazine
>>
>>9616346
nah, diego is a reactionary piece of shit pretending to be a Marxist Leninist piece of shit
>>
>>9616349
does that really make him a piece of shit though?
>>
>>9616360
yes
>>
hes great
>>
>What is the legacy of Christopher Lasch in the USA?
>How is he viewed?

Fucking Christ, the redundancy
>>
>>9615305
Pretty much ignored. He's not popular with the type of crowd that dominates American intellectual life right now
>>
He isn't
>>
>>9617212
do you get off on being petty?
>>
>>9617315

Jesus Christ man, can you take the extra 3 seconds to spell check and spare us that eyesore of a posta? Isn't this board for people interested in literature, not shitty writers anonymous?
>>
File: 1478341576182.jpg (58KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478341576182.jpg
58KB, 1280x720px
>>9617345

>Jesus Christ man, can you take the extra 3 seconds to spell check and spare us that eyesore of a posta?
>posta

I don't know anon, can you?
>>
>>9617389

You missed my joke
>>
>>9617389

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6CCePrJlaU

What the fuck?
>>
File: perez.jpg (62KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
perez.jpg
62KB, 900x720px
>>9615305
He's way too ignored and just who we need right now. I spam him wherever I go, online and irl.

Chris Lehmann, the editor of The Baffler, was a student of Lasch and quite close to him for a while from what I understand. Unfortunately, he's nowhere near the intellectual powerhouse.
>>
>>9618678
lol is that the new goldman sachs banker the clinton clique installed as the leader of the dnc? lollll they just don't get it man, trump gonna be two terms for better or worse
>>
>>9617401
>H-heh I was just joking
>>
>>9618680
It is indeed. Lasch would have a field day with him and the Democrats today.
>>
>>9618700
but... but... he's hispanic! that means he's sure to connect with the common man!
>>
>>9615587
+ Current Affairs mag
>>
File: 1449937432540.jpg (55KB, 862x892px) Image search: [Google]
1449937432540.jpg
55KB, 862x892px
>>9617389
MINEY POSTA
>>
>>9615525

Jimmy Carter is the most J U S T person in 20th century America, possibly the 20th century as a whole. How can you actually get any more fucked.
>>
>>9619081
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kakFDUeoJKM
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.