[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a question that i'd like to scout literary individuals

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: synapse magnified .jpg (461KB, 2376x1264px) Image search: [Google]
synapse magnified .jpg
461KB, 2376x1264px
I have a question that i'd like to scout literary individuals for - what is pop music?

i'm asking /lit and not /mu for a few reasons:

1) the politics of the arts can lead to a self-defeating constriction.
1.5) Music is often seen as entertainment, and even more discouraging- it lends itself to clics which can be hiveminded.
2) reading, although very different, seems to be a more finely tuned way of receiving information than listening.
3) I'm not looking for a specific answer, It seems less controlled to ask individuals who might not be directly related to music.
>>
>>9614680
music that is popular
pop is short for popular
thus, pop music = popular music
>>
>>9614688
Not that guy but how do you compare the beatles with lady gaga? I'm not saying any is better than the other, I'm saying they are both extremely popular and yet sound too different to be the same genre.

Meanwhile you get metalheads assblasted about the nuances that differenciate grindcore from metalcore
>>
>>9614705
lady gaga and the Beatles were both pop music at the time they came out
>>
>>9614680
Pop music is music that strives to be melodic and catchy rather than to have artistic merit.
>>
>>9614688
>>9614705
I can see both ideas- a square is a rectangle but a rectangle's not a square.

there are then social ties to music that don't translate to the qualities of it, but would that mean it's more of a blanket term than a genre?
>>
>>9614715
how would you define artistic merit when it comes to music?
>>
Pop music just falls under pop culture, so anything that is popular. This doesn't necessarily mean it's good or bad. In a personal opinion, I think pop media tends to suck, because they're trying to reach out to the biggest audience they can. Pop songs usually throw in some weird part, like dubstep or a rap verse, that ruins the momentum of a song, because they think it will attract a bigger audience.
>>
>>9614725
>but would that mean it's more of a blanket term than a genre?
That is what it means. Most genres are blanket terms. The paradox of the heap springs up a lot in discussions like this too. What is rock music? When does it become hard rock? What's so nu about this metal? Can you be a ska band without a horn section?
>>
Watch this OP:

https://youtu.be/S9AbuFhT0W4

What it talks about also applies to genre fiction.
>>
>>9616166
Would it be fair to say that it's a phrase to show social awareness, or popularity. The antithesis of pop music is underground, which still doesn't really describe anything
>>
>>9614705
Metalhead here, a lot of us don't give a shit about genre or categorisation as long as the choonage is sufficiently banging.
>>
Music is like literature. Popculture is it's downfall. And bach is the supreme being. All other big names are led by him.

Pop music is like the trash books, caterd, no essence, no value.

I have a bookclub with a few people devoted to music for the better part of their lives. (Like 40 years +)
It's interesting learning such stuff there.
>>
>>9616180
capitalism destroys everything
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.