[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Toni Morrison?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: AlexanderDumas.jpg (286KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
AlexanderDumas.jpg
286KB, 630x420px
What does /lit/ think of Toni Morrison?
>>
not much
>>
inb4 "She can only write racially centered novels, is not very talented or original ultimately, and largely received the Nobel Prize because of affirmative action"
inb4
"Really good, just read her."
inb4
arguments about the Bell Curve Theory, Tah Nehisi Coates' useage of the phrase "black bodies," details of the Trayvon Martin shooting, unironic and unselfware blatant neo nazism, well-meaning and carelessly arranged critiques of racism, etc.
>>
I liked the Bluest Eye. Nice use of beautiful imagery while dealing with uncomfortable topics.
>>
File: 1HY69NW_024_lt.jpg (81KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1HY69NW_024_lt.jpg
81KB, 1920x1080px
>>9612515
>inb4 "She can only write racially centered novels, is not very talented or original ultimately, and largely received the Nobel Prize because of affirmative action"
But this is literally true. You can look it up. She didn't win the year Beloved was written and only after a giant 'protest' organized by black 'intellectuals' the committee was pressured into awarding it to her next year. Can you even imagine protesting not winning an award for any conventional author? It's ridiculous and the very definition of 'only because I'm black'
>>
>>9612636
this. i saw her get the macdowell medal last year at medal day and it was pathetic. her prose is average at best, rowlings-tier in some places
>>
I read Beloved and thought it was fine. But I think Sonny's Blues is and will for the foreseeable future remain the height of literature by a/about being a African American in the U.S., even with Invisible Man on the table. It is absolutely beautiful, damn near transcendent.
>>
>>9612636
I've only read Beloved, and I thought it was a pretty bad book.
>>
Imagine this was a chick. That's what I think about her.

https://youtu.be/rZHwGnGrm_k
>>
I've only read Jazz and it was pretty sweet.
>>
I read Song of Solomon in high school and by the end of it I just felt embarrassed for Negroes. We went directly from Hamlet, the greatest piece of fiction in the history of language, to a paperback not even worthy of airport bookstores. You could feel that the tension in the room as the class quadroon tried to convince us of its merit.
>>
>>9612483

/lit/ has a huge boner for Catholicism

does Toni Morrison's Catholicism really never get mentioned on /lit/ because she is a black woman?
>>
File: download.jpg (151KB, 661x800px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
151KB, 661x800px
10 street creds to anyone who can name who wrote this third page of four as an introduction to based Morrison
>>
File: IMG_1677.jpg (79KB, 397x525px)
IMG_1677.jpg
79KB, 397x525px
>>9612636
Wow imagine being passionate enough about something to act on said passion.
>>
>>9612636
One of the judges on the Nobel committee eventually told James Baldwin that the reason they did not choose him was because Ellison won the previous year and they did not want a black laureate two years in a row, the politics are not illegitimate. I don't know shit about Morrison's circumstances, but considering she was a prominent Civil Rights figure who kept company with MLK and Baldwin and helped desegregate her country it's probably a bit more compelling than you're willing to admit
>>
>>9612515
>well-meaning and carelessly arranged critiques of racism

Read: impotent leftist screeching and slave morality
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.