[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what's their problem?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: n1-magazine.jpg (150KB, 625x325px) Image search: [Google]
n1-magazine.jpg
150KB, 625x325px
what's their problem?
>>
too much pie in their bellies?
>>
>>9612428
theyre so absurdly cynical it's hard to take anything they say seriously
>>
File: the-paris-review-040[1].jpg (237KB, 1178x785px) Image search: [Google]
the-paris-review-040[1].jpg
237KB, 1178x785px
What's their end game?
>>
>>9612438
your post is so cynical it's hard to take seriously
>>
Typical brooklynite leftist garbage.

"The world is bad and it can be better, but we won't do the work, unless it's on our doorstep"

They would rather admit the world is ending (it's not) than admit it's not and there's work to do.
>>
>>9612466
it's especially bad because it is cultural criticism. imo, cultural criticism is best when there's a bit of enthusiasm for the things called 'culture.' when everything is chalked up to being NOT AS GOOD AS IT SEEMS, what's the point? it's like how i used to read national geographic as a kid. every single fucking article is first half about how great something is, the second half about how it's being destroyed. im not expressing myself well

>>9612456
this poster seems to be here from reddit.
>>
>>9612449
>paris "review"
>based in new york and they don't review anything
>>
>>9612478
paris review interviews are still legit. it used to be in paris when matthiessen was a spy. im actually reading the snow leopard right now, and im pretty surprised in a good way - it's great so far.

think he was just one of those patrician-types who was not an amazing author, and preferred the good life to his craft, but had great taste and influence
>>
>>9612486
alot of the fiction, art and poetry is decent too.

the idea that the paris review only generates decent interviews is a meme. I really like the fact that their aren't reviews or editorials, and that you're given your own space to make your own mind up.
>>
>>9612502
never said they weren't, but i dont read them. i do still almost always read the interviews
>>
>>9612527
sorry. Its just generally people will highlight the interviews as its only merit.

What's your favourite interview?
>>
>>9612537
i like all the classic ones like faulkner. adam phillip's and michel haneke's are great for non-classics
>>
>>9612466
Who even wants a good world? Where's the fun in that
>>
>>9612537
Houellebecq's Art of Fiction is good.
His interview about Soumission is utter trash that made me let my subscriptiin run out.
Also, most of their fiction is pretty middle of the road, inoffensive, and hasn't been truly important in your average 4chan user's lifetime. Is it good enough to read? Yeah.
>>
in other news, the NYRB has fallen off a cliff. 2-3 yrs ago even it was decent and interesting. it is now unreadable. i guess i always saw it above classically middlebrow shit like the new yorker, atlantic, etc. but i was fooled
>>
>>9613394
'Inoffensive' is the perfect way to put it. Same goes with the New Yorker.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.