[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

who do you think is the greatest post-greek philosopher? hard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: greek.jpg (17KB, 230x375px) Image search: [Google]
greek.jpg
17KB, 230x375px
who do you think is the greatest post-greek philosopher?

hard mode: no christianity or kant

why are so many of them german? was heidegger right about the german language? how come renaissance italy didn't produce more profound philosophical thought?
>>
that mena admixture really did a number on the tail end of their bell curve
>>
>>9612048
never heard that acronym - you think the medicis were part black/arab?
>>
My boy Soren KierkeGOD
>>
File: StefanMolyneux.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
StefanMolyneux.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>9611996
>>
>>9611996
i was just discussing why they're practically all german earlier funnily enough. I believe that in part it's due to the superiority of their language. But fundamentally i think it's because they weren't unified or heavily influenced by christianity in their culture until much later in history. while the english and french were embracing christianity, it didn't have the same place in germany. Nietzsche has a bit about that. so during the christian philosophy era and enlightenment they had Herder and Kant but their core culture was searching for it's unification and roots through spirituality which gave them the likes of Nietzche, schopenhauer, heidegger, etc. Their philosophy had a raw, less dogmatic feeling to it than christian european philosophers.
>>
>>9612243
What's so superior about German? I speak Italian, English and French, but I never thought about learning German. Should I?
>>
It's hard to pin that post-Greek down. Must a neoplatonist or late stoic write in any language but Greek? Does a Plotinus opening a school in Rome not count, while a Maimonides or an Islamic neoplatonist or aristotelian who read him do?

Similarly, is "no Christianity" supposed to be limited to the Church Fathers? Because even today several philosophers concern themselves with Christian theology. Even Slavoj.

I think the Germans' substantial contribution to Western philosophy was stimulated first by the Reformation and it's connection to the Guntenberg printing press (Luther's translation of the Bible...), secondly by reacting to revolutionary events in France, America, Britain. The German cultural élite had always lots of interpreting to do, but wasn't always directly caught in the middle of it.
>>
>>9611996
Good old Schopie.
>>
germans had better philosophies because of a few reasons. (1) kant - he was german, and his thought rippled through everything. (2) systematic language. (3) the ashkenazi jews in german speaking countries were secularized, meaning the geniuses kept in russian yeshivas were able to be catalysts in the development of phenomenology, linguistic theory, etc. (4) fashion - it was part of germany's culture, as opposed to renaissance florence, where geniuses wanted only to paint paintings, build buildings, write poetry and participate in city politics.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.