[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with fiction, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_ndm2fo3A0r1qkl5tno1_1280.jpg (463KB, 1047x1600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndm2fo3A0r1qkl5tno1_1280.jpg
463KB, 1047x1600px
What's wrong with fiction, /lit/?
>>
>>9609814
It's escapism
>>
>>9609814
define fiction
>>9609914
nothing is escapism
>>
>>9609914
Is there anything wrong with this? I read all the things myself.
>>9609919
literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people.
>>
>>9609926
nothings wrong with prose, but poetry has a wider toolset
>>
It's not real so you're better off reading memoirs of people who know better than you
>>
>>9609932
Elaborate? Personally, I love reading stuff about what other people think about things. also i love the occasional fiction story.
>>9609962
This is a good point, however, This could be boiled down to one of those "make sure it's not all you read" things?
>>
>>9609814
Nothing. You'll have people like>>9609914
who will tell you it has no value because "muh escapism", but that's obviously stupid. Fiction can (and often is) thought provoking. Now there are a lot of differences in quality especially in relation to their genres (For example romance novels are often pretty shallow, whereas dystopian literature is mostly quite intelligent). So there are pretty much worthless parts of fiction, but same goes for non-fiction.
>>
Nonfiction tends to be written for the lowest common denominator. In my experience, there's more intellectual benefit in reading dense literature - unless we're talking about philosophy, which is just a whole different issue entirely.
>>
>>9609980
Poetry allows for everything prose allows, but also the use of linebreaks allows for a multiplicity of meaning that creates a denser work, while still allowing easy comprehension. However, this wider range of expression causes an perceived 'waste' as a much worse transgression to readers in comparison to prose.
>>
>>9609932
such as lack of characters, plot, intrigue
>>
>>9610270
have you ever read before?
>>
In my opinion it's stupid to be inherently bound by reality in writing.

I paused for five seconds to think of a socially acceptable example, but instead, consider cocks. Do you realize how much clawing at the world for context you have to do to determine the average size of a human male between the legs? In the end it's just so left field to gain that context then use it as a foundation for "real" that it means nothing to me.

"Real" to me is fallacious thinking when it comes to writing for only the purpose of self-expression. I feel subject matter should be criticized for its own merits, not what we obseve to be "real". Whether or not writing entirely conforms to what is "real" shouldn't necessarily mean the body is work therefore belongs in the trash, imo.
>>
>>9610270

Homer and epic poetry in general.
>>
>>9609814
Nothing.
/lit/'s hatred toward fiction is just a meme to keep the normies away.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.