[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Book recommendation for newbie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: FransHals.jpg (69KB, 274x305px) Image search: [Google]
FransHals.jpg
69KB, 274x305px
I have never read anything past harry potter in my life, lately I have found new intrest in literature but i dont know where to start. What are some must read book that everyone should read?
>>
>>9609334
The Quran.
>>
>>9609334
Well, what do you want to read? Do you want to discover the great fictions humanity wrote? Do you want to understand philosophy? Do you want a powerful aesthetic experience? You should read things you think you might enjoy and start from there.

I'll still give you my personal advice: people always say "Start with the greeks", and it's kind of a meme, but there's some truth to it. Plato is a great and fun introduction to philosophy if you want to go in that way. I should also add that, at least in France, a lot of young people who have an interest in literature read The Stranger (at least half of the /lit/ guys I know had some kind of "click" by reading The Stranger). Finally, I've always thought Confederacy of Dunces is a fun read and might be a good "newbie book". But that's only advices from my own experience, maybe they're bullshit.
>>
>>9609334
Look up one of our charts on the lit wiki
>>
>>9609334

There's no single book everybody ought to read just like there's no exercise everyone ought to do. The important thing is that you read, just like the important thing is that you exercise. Unless you have concrete goals, nobody can tell you what to read.
>>
File: 1365475090228.jpg (418KB, 747x1417px) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228.jpg
418KB, 747x1417px
>>9609334
>>
>>9609744
You're telling someone who's never read past Harry Potter to go read Plato?
>>
>>9610763
He's clearly not an intellectual. It's not like it's Aristotle or anything.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.