[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does knowing German make reading Kant and Hegel any easier or clearer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (151KB, 1270x714px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 1270x714px
Does knowing German make reading Kant and Hegel any easier or clearer?
>>
It enables you to read them at all.
>>
>>9608714
Serious question? It's of course the same in every language. You have to be fluent and have read a fucking lot before it's somewhat easy and clearer. I imagine there are German natives who find Kant or Hegel hard to read.
>>
>>9608714
A meme that did the rounds whilst I was an undergraduate was that even some Germans read Kant in English because the translations are more readable.
>>
>>9608714

That dude is probably going to kick it soon and I'd love to see a gulag where you get paid to do basically nothing
>>
>>9609910
i can imagine this to be actually true.
i am a german native and i read kant and some hegel both in german and in english and the translated versions (especially hegel) read like dumbed down versions of the original texts with a much more narrow range of vocabulary where four or five completely different terms are all translated as the same word
>>
>>9610341
Whitehead auf Deutsch? Curious as to how it reads. Process and Reality, i.e.
>>
>>9608714
Would not recommend that
Even in German Kant is not that easy to read
>hurr durr you're just stupid
Possible, but I would not recommend reading Kant to someone who is learning the language. That's like telling a toddler to crawl up a Mountain
>>
>>9610341
>five completely different terms are all translated as the same word
or fucking english translations of will and representation where representation has five different translations, and just saying representation consistently in the translation would make every fucking thing clearer. i'd take schopenhauer in the original five languages over that shit.
Kant is hard to read in either, but may be easier in English. His style is meant to be awkward on purpose, which doesn't help.
Hegel's def the easier of the two in either language, but slightly better in German because the meanings carry better (Wissenschaft usw).
>>
>>9608714
Short answer: no.
Long answer: HELL FUCKING NO.

Kant/Hegel basically wrote to not be understood. While not every translation is good, still, they all at least are going to be clearer than the original German.
>>
>>9608714
Aren't you supposed to read Hegel whilst binging on N2O?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.