[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about beat generation? Overrated or legit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

What do you think about beat generation?
Overrated or legit
>>
File: 0052100.jpg (37KB, 300x438px) Image search: [Google]
0052100.jpg
37KB, 300x438px
they're ok

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfQCgVnRqzw
>>
I am not a burger so I don't think about them at all.
>>
I guess they were more or less necessary. Maybe not those people in particular, but a movement of that kind was inevitable and they did have a big influence on later writers, there's really no saying where American culture and literature would be today if the Beat Generation hadn't existed.
That aside, I don't particularly enjoy any of the works associated with that movement. Some are alright, but they just aren't my cup of tea. It's more about the people than their works and I can appreciate that whole era in history for its influence on actual people more than for its inherent artistic value.
>>
Butroughs is an all-time favorite and I like Kerouac a lot as well. Howl was cool but haven't read much else from Ginsberg.
>>
>>9608325
>There's really no saying where American culture and literature would be today if the Beat Generation hadn't existed.

Apparently there really is no saying it?
What is that sentence even saying?
Or even implying really?
>>
Pretentious pseuds.
>>
>>9608240
Overrated. I respect that they broke ground but the way most of it was done is tasteless and pseud asf imo. With the exception of Burroughs. He was a fucking G.
>>
I work at a transcription company and am currently transcribing a lot of interviews that some writer is doing for a biography on Andrea Dworkin. One of the interviewees talked about how her own son's godfather was Allen Ginsberg and that's ridiculously funny to me.
>>
Indifferent.
>>
Ginsburg and Kerouac are overrated. Burroughs is the real deal.
>>
Overrated. I hate those bastards. I read On the Road and Kaddish by Ginsberg and a stack of other shit by them, and it's all garbled snooty whiny horsecrap. Just watch interviews of Kerouac on YouTube - the dude was a sham, a fake. He didn't know what the fuck he believed. Tolstoy had the balls to admit in A Confession that he was full of shit, and went out in search of truth. Kerouac just continued to drink like a moron.
>>
kind of pisses me off that "Howl" is such a cool title but it was used by Ginsberg.
>>
>>9608240
Kerouac is interesting. The success of On the Road combined with his alcoholism, which became worse after he became famous, prevented him from reaching his full potential.
>>
It's amazing how something that was once so edgy feels so quaint now. They're still pretty good.
>>
>>9608364
Why was it tasteless?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.