[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Brothers Karamazov

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: the brothers karamazov.jpg (43KB, 476x700px) Image search: [Google]
the brothers karamazov.jpg
43KB, 476x700px
Finally finished reading this, can we discuss it please?

What exactly was I supposed to take away from it morally? I ask because even though I know it is a Christian book, I'm a little confused about a very important plot point:

***spoilers***

When Smerdyakov "confessed" to Ivan, was that real or was that another hallucination by Ivan like when he hallucinated the Devil in his house? And if the confession was a hallucination, does that mean Mitya actually did commit the murder? Because it wasn't proven that he did do it, but it wasn't exactly proven that he didn't in court, either, and the narrator never discloses if he really did it or not.

anyways discuss whatever you want about this book here, themes and plot points and stuff.
>>
>>9607804
recall the little cripple girl? was she talking about getting boned by some other guy during the last conversation with Alyosha?
>>
>>9607826

I don't really remember her saying that, but what would that have to do with the stuff I mentioned?
>>
>>9607804
Y'know, don't confuse 19th century Russian literature with today's psychological thrillers.

Of course Smerdyakov's confession was real. And Dmitri was innocent. I, myself, doubted his innocence until the vital information came from Alyosha, when he remembered the evening he met Mitya, and Mitya pointed to his secret pocket and not his heart. He was tried guilty because the hysteria from his ex-girlfriend caused quite a scene in the courtroom, and caught the jury by heart. Dmitri's reputation didn't put him in good graces, and only Alyosha, Ivan and his ex-girlfriend knew about his true virtues. But in the end, his ex-girlfriend eradicated every last bit of hope for him just out of spite.

The Brothers Karamazov is the third best book by Dostoyevsky in my ranking.
>>
>>9607826
She was mocking Alyosha's servility by saying that he's the type that would deliver the message that she loved another to her new lover and essentially saying that he was an ultimate beta when really he just cares for the happiness of humanity and would rather Lise happy with someone else than unhappy with him. She clearly has issues with serving God and believes him to be a devil when really she brings out the devil herself by doing wrong on purpose in opposition to God because she's into bdsm and loves the forgiveness post-repentance more than the feeling of staying good, like a drug. Her rebellion stems from that same issue of Ivan's of pain and suffering happening to children when it seems they shouldn't deserve such (when really pain is equal for man and child alike and atrocities occur unbiased but from man alone for all ages and so it is pointless to execrate God).
>>
>>9608056
what are the first 2?
>>
>>9607804
>What exactly was I supposed to take away from it morally?
The most common and best argument against Christianity and the existence of God is the problem of evil -- how can evil exist if God exists and is all-knowing, all-seeing and all-powerful?
The answer given by Dostoevsky in this book is that of universal sin and vicarious atonement.
>>
>>9608227
1. Demons
2. The Idiot

Both can be interchangeable though, because Demons has the highest psychological, literary and historical merit, but The Idiot is purely personal preference. Myshkin is the ideal every man should strive to be but nobody will ever be; the drawn parable to Christ and Christianity with semi-autobiographical descriptions is beatifully written.
>>
File: kiss.png (787KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
kiss.png
787KB, 1000x500px
I made this little wallpaper thing a while ago from my favorite line of the book, if anyone wants to save it.
>>
>>9607804
The idea is that intellectuals (Ivan) poison the mind of idiots (Smerdjakov) that act out on their pernicious ideas and common, sensuos people like Mitja supper the concesequences (much like russian people suffer the consenquences of the actions of radicals fuled by Western Ideas)
Salvation is in Christianity, in being a fool for Christ like the starec or Alyosha
>>
>>9608932

both of those books are a mess
>>
>>9608227
>universal
possible pleb choice, but Crime and Punishment is by far my favourite Dostoevsky book
>>
>>9609135
Your whore mother's rectum became a mess after I finished her.
>>
>>9607804
fuck off dino
>>
File: losing my shit.jpg (64KB, 662x712px) Image search: [Google]
losing my shit.jpg
64KB, 662x712px
OP, you better fucking deliver or I'll doxx your ass. I didn't write my ass off just for another dead thread here. This is why /lit/ is shit: when there's actually some elaborate posts discussing some shit, it gets ignored. While shitposts and maymays survive.
>>
>>9610353

OP here, I don't really have anything else to add to the thread so far, I have simply observed and thought about some of the answers/discussion that have been given.
>>
>>9610353
Kek
>>
>>9610353
If I'm guessing which posts are yours correctly, you got most of your analysis spot on. Nothing much I could add desu, you've done a good job already.
>>
Bump, niggers.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.