[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Is genre fiction looked down upon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1492902577922.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492902577922.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
Why Is genre fiction looked down upon?
>>
Because most of it isn't good at all doesn't even try to be.
>>
>>9607701
the more appropriate question is why does it matter to you so much? there are one of two ways with dealing with this. either you try to legitimize genre fiction in some crusade to make yourself feel better about what you're reading, or you shrug and just read whatever the fuck you want to read.

quite a few people who shit on genre fiction just want the people who read it to challenge themselves because they know how pleasant it can be with a quality book. the rest of them use literature as a badge, and it doesn't matter what they think anyway.
>>
>>9607714
Thank you for the reply. To be honest, I actually read almost all non-fiction, I was just curious.
>>
>>9607714
>literature as a badge

Couldn't have said better myself: some "classics" are genuinely boring to read and not interesting at all. The only reason people read them is because they are regarded as "classic literature".
>>
>>9607724
i didn't mean to sound hostile or anything, it just always boils down to that. yeah, i hold the belief that some literature is objectively better than other literature. but as we're all individuals, we have to make decisions on what we're going to waste our time reading. it's important to make sure you're getting the most out of it, so it's hard not to take other people's opinions seriously. what if you fuck up and read this author all your life, while this other superior and far more fulfilling author was just over the horizon the entire time? this tragedy haunts me at times, so much so, that the pursuit of the greatest author wastes more time than i use to read. anyway, in the end, genre fiction readers have an advantage in a way, they know what they like and there's plenty of it.
>>
>>9607732
It is for intellectual pleasure in many cases. In my case for aesthetic pleasure.
>>
>>9607701
Pseuds.
>>
>>9607701
All of it that isn't written by Gene Wolfe is garbage
>>
>>9607780
just add an r and you have Genre Wolfe. have you even read his essays for fuck sake?
>>
>>9607782
>essays
is this a meme related to that one really devoted shitposter who popped up recently?
>>
>>9607785
?
>>
>>9607790
Someone who doesn't use capital letters has been making weird substanceless shitposts anywhere Wolfe has been mentioned across a few /sffg/s and the big Book of the New Sun thread recently.
>>
File: IMG_0127.jpg (43KB, 279x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0127.jpg
43KB, 279x400px
>>9607794
sounds like the legendary lowercase picaro.
>>
>>9607794
>using capital letters on 4chan

how new are you
>>
>>9607770
I understand your point, but when I said "not interesting" I meant not interesting in ANY WAY, be it content, writing style...
>>
>>9608015
I understand your post and know that it is bait, also please don't respond.
>>
>>9608019
In what way was that a bait?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.