[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pale Fire Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (119KB, 500x587px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119KB, 500x587px
Just finished Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov and my head is still spinning.
Not sure if Kinbote is crazy or not, whether I'm supposed to try and figure that out or not, or if it's just (or also) a massive joke about literary criticism.
Would appreciate some commentary on a real author's fictional author's commentary on a fictional author's poem.
>>
>>9605456
I read the poem but not the commentary. It wasn't very good.
>>
>>960546
Did you at least read the forward? The poem really isn't all the book has to offer (given that it's meta-fiction) and in fact the commentator spends more time talking about his homosexual fantasies than talking about the actual poem.
>>
>>9605466
Did you at least read the forward? The poem really isn't all the book has to offer (given that it's meta-fiction) and in fact the commentator spends more time talking about his homosexual fantasies than talking about the actual poem.
>>
>>9605466
the commentary and footnotes are the book, dumbass
>>
You have to reread it and reread it again. Your interpretation will change each time as you become increasing distrusting of Kinbote.

It's a hilarious book and gets funnier and funnier. My favourite bit is when he's at the party and the faculty member says something like, "you've got the hals really bad, man" and he interprets it as hallucinations rather than halitosis. Kinbote is absolutely unhinged.
>>
Kinbote isn't real. If you want a hint look up professor Botkin in the glossary.

If you liked Pale Fire you absolutely must read Ada. It towers above the rest of Nabokov's work and represents him at the peak of his aestheticisim. It's pure bliss
>>
>>9605520
No I don't read intros or forwards
>>
>>9605748
But 85 percent of the book masquerades as a "forward." So congrats, you just mistook a single root for a whole tree
>>
>>9605758
you are getting baited dude, cmon

>>9605456
ill discuss. when i first read i thought he was the king and someone was trying to kill him and shot the poet, but honestly i think i read the last 1/3 high so dont remember that well and mightve been retarded. the commentary and shit are hilarious though and i remember generally loving the book.
>>
>>9605767
>>9605596
Ya totally agree on it being hilarious. The type of humor is the same as in Pnin (first book by VN I read)
Personally by the time I figured out that Kinbote thinks he's King Charles it was already clear that his commentary is unreliable.
>>
>>9605746
Ok I'll read it first chance I get. Any other works by VN you'd recommend? I currently have Ada, The Gift and Glory (and Lolita and Pnin but already I already finished those)

You mind expanding on that Botkin theory a bit more. I saw it in the Wikipedia page but didn't see much textual evidence for it.
>>
Is it Kin-Bo-Tay or Kin-Bot or Kin-Boat?
>>
>>9605466
Lel
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.