[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Another DFW Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: sdsacsdcsdc.jpg (79KB, 800x466px) Image search: [Google]
sdsacsdcsdc.jpg
79KB, 800x466px
Does anyone have a link to that one interview/article where pic related drops the whole mass market paperback meme and actually says what he's favorite books/pieces are?

It's out there somewhere.
>>
>>9605131
i know he had king on his syllabus.

cant be cujo because that fucker had rescue dogs
>>
>>9605131
OK. Historically the stuff that's sort of rung my cherries: Socrates' funeral oration, the poetry of John Donne, the poetry of Richard Crashaw, every once in a while Shakespeare, although not all that often, Keats' shorter stuff, Schopenhauer, Descartes' [David Foster Wallace's Bookbag] "Meditations on First Philosophy" and "Discourse on Method," Kant's "Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysic," although the translations are all terrible, William James' "Varieties of Religious Experience," Wittgenstein's "Tractatus," Joyce's "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," Hemingway -- particularly the ital stuff in "In Our Time," where you just go oomph!, Flannery O'Connor, Cormac McCarthy, Don DeLillo, A.S. Byatt, Cynthia Ozick -- the stories, especially one called "Levitations," about 25 percent of the time Pynchon. Donald Barthelme, especially a story called "The Balloon," which is the first story I ever read that made me want to be a writer, Tobias Wolff, Raymond Carver's best stuff -- the really famous stuff. Steinbeck when he's not beating his drum, 35 percent of Stephen Crane, "Moby-Dick," "The Great Gatsby."

And, my God, there's poetry. Probably Phillip Larkin more than anyone else, Louise Gl&uumlck, Auden.

What about colleagues?

There's the whole "great white male" deal. I think there are about five of us under 40 who are white and over 6 feet and wear glasses. There's Richard Powers who lives only about 45 minutes away from me and who I've met all of once. William Vollman, Jonathan Franzen, Donald Antrim, Jeffrey Eugenides, Rick Moody. The person I'm highest on right now is George Saunders, whose book "Civilwarland in Bad Decline" just came out, and is well worth a great deal of attention. A.M. Homes: her longer stuff I don't think is perfect, but every few pages there's something that just doubles you over. Kathryn Harrison, Mary Karr, who's best known for "The Liar's Club" but is also a poet and I think the best female poet under 50. A woman named Cris Mazza. Rikki Ducornet, Carole Maso. Carole Maso's "Ava" is just -- a friend of mine read it and said it gave him an erection of the heart."
>>
>>9605133
Yeah but there's an interview where he's like "Okay, look. I like [insert all the usual suspect classics here]." I recall A Portrait of the Artist being on there. Point being: there's a non-meme version of his favs out there.
>>
>>9605138
Ty. This board was not full of faggots today.
>>
>>9605131
Jason Segel looks like a creepy pedo with severe seasonal allergies in this movie. They could have cast someone better for this role.
>>
>>9605131
>tfw /lit/ was made in 2010 and DFW killed himself in 2008
If only /lit/ was made sooner.
>>
>>9605131
O.K.
WTF!
Did that fat fuck from the shit show of How I met Your Mother really star as DFW in some shitty movie or somehting?
This isn't a coincidence right?
>>
>>9605556
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_the_Tour
>>
>>9605916
Qoui est le opinion of Lit on this seemingly shit film?
>>
>>9605933
it's shit and is really just an excuse for lypsky to be associated.
The book is better. The film is clearly a cash-in for prestige
>>
>>9605959
i should mention the book is about just as long and only excludes the pointless, practically non-existent and dramaless "third act" that was only thrown in to make lipsky seem depthful/interesting in the slightest
>>
>>9605556
>>9605916

For the curious, the movie is about Mark Zuckerberg meeting DFW and challenging him to a "Who Can Eat the Most Cheeseburgers?" contest. I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>9605959
it made 3 million.... bet it wasn't expensive but that is really shit.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.