[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>would never remotely consider reading modern fiction >wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_3387.png (298KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3387.png
298KB, 600x512px
>would never remotely consider reading modern fiction
>wants to be a writer and assumes people will read his books
>>
>>9604204
Who are you quoting?
>>9604204
Who are you quoting?
>>
>would never consider reading classics
>finds them "boring and old"
>seriously wants to be a fantasy writer, just spewing the same tolkien shit again and again

This is worse than OP's, and I've heard it irl from someone else
>>
>>9604225
Let the scum be scum, I say
>>
>>9604225
I like classics and I want to write fantasy.
>>
I personally really enjoy modern fiction, the only thing I can't read is that boring pretentious shit, romance and teen novels.
>>
>>9605460
Which means that my post does not apply to you
>>
I honestly caught myself doing that at some point in my life, but for other things. I wanted to make a great comic book, but then I realized I don't read new comic books in a long time and don't even know about what's being made today. Perhaps there are great stuff, but I don't look for it, so why would I do it anyway?

That being said, I don't think it's that black or white. It is perhaps precisely because someone doesn't know of current stuff that this person can produce something fresh, or at least fresher than someone who digs in what is being done stuff to parrot around (sometimes without even realizing it). Orson Welles said his ignorance of how movies were made in Hollywood helped him think of scenes in new ways. It challenged the technicians around him, but ultimately made his movies better.
>>
>>9604225

You don't have to read the classics to write.

The writers who influenced you were influenced by writers influenced all the way back to the classics. The building blocks have been carried forward.
>>
>>9605523
weird, i think of that orson welles thing all the time. i wonder if we heard it in the same place.

part of me actually feels like what op said. there's just a certain part of me that thinks so highly of itself that it thinks, "well i'm not really of this time, the quality i create is TIMELESS"
>>
>>9605525
In the same way that you only need a phone in order to make a movie

But it's going to be shit, unless you have otherwordly natural talent.
>>
File: fels.jpg (134KB, 778x510px) Image search: [Google]
fels.jpg
134KB, 778x510px
>Creating things to be consumed by other people
>Not creating things so they don't consume you.
>>
File: DFW.png (128KB, 352x335px) Image search: [Google]
DFW.png
128KB, 352x335px
>>9605539

>nuh-uh you're wrong!

Lots to think about here, thanks. Great discussion.
>>
>modern fiction
Do you mean modernism, or just contemporary fiction?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.