[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

blood meridian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

This book was absolutely the biggest waste of time I have had reading fiction in my 50 years as an avid reader. It is verbose, aimless and pretentious. Does McCarthy spend most of his waking life looking for obscure words to dazzle us by? Some are not even available in the dictionary. How obtuse. I can't believe he was awarded the Pulitzer prize. I will admit that occasionally there were passages of good writing (few and far between), but to compare him to Melville and Faulkner is an insult.

An overly cerebral and extravagantly nebulous account of a warped and sinister group of men wandering around the southwest creating mayhem
>>
>>9601821
>An overly cerebral
found the problem
>>
>>9601857
T. Mcarthapologist
>>
>>9601821

>This book was absolutely the biggest waste of time I have had reading fiction in my 50 years as an avid reader.

durrr I am over half a century old and still opt for overly dramatic hyperbole like a little neville durrrrrrrrrrr

fuck off
>>
File: IMG_0435.jpg (227KB, 620x858px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0435.jpg
227KB, 620x858px
OP your reading comprehension will get better in several years-- and you will pick this book back up, just to see--- you'll flip to a random page, and stumble on a line of gorgeous prose. You'll flip to another page--- same thing.

then you'll feel so embarrassed about this post. people only get angry at books that are above their comprehension. (hence why all of /lit/ despises poetry)

the whole point of literature is language. if you don't like words just watch TV instead and leave this place.
>>
>>9601821
stick to your video games, virgin
>>
>>9601821
I can literally not recall a single obscure word being used
>>
>>9601891
im just going to open up to a random page and i guarantee i'll find one

alright, page 205
vidette

what the fuck even
>>
>>9601878

>(hence why all of /lit/ despises poetry)

C I T A T I O N N E E D E D
>>
>>9601899
>a word describing a sentry in a book about two factions at war with eachother
Wow how terrible
>>
>>9601899
it means you're a pleb who isn't interested in expanding his vocabulary
>>
>>9601899
try reading BotNS, then complain about esoteric language
>>
File: 1495632893224.jpg (35KB, 615x630px) Image search: [Google]
1495632893224.jpg
35KB, 615x630px
>>9601899

>why do all of these critically-lauded books that I attempt to read keep trying to extend my vocabulary?? this is outrageous!

stop reading any time
>>
>>9601935
What's BotNS?
>>
File: 1403569581167.jpg (17KB, 310x233px) Image search: [Google]
1403569581167.jpg
17KB, 310x233px
>>9601878
>>
>>9601821
Waaaa dis book was harddd
>>
File: IMG_0922.jpg (24KB, 256x243px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0922.jpg
24KB, 256x243px
Please neck yourself

If you can't read big words,or have a painfully limited vocabulary, he has other books that you can understand.
>>
File: gene wolfe.jpg (65KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
gene wolfe.jpg
65KB, 620x372px
>>9601942
a catholic scifi/fantasy tetralogy that i just started where the author takes great pains to not make a word up, but instead derives meaning from lots of dead languages (though, thankfully, mostly greco-roman). it's memed on /lit/ by /sffg/ as THE scifi-fantasy book to draw near to literary fiction.

the way i've read it, it must be written by a thomist.
>tl;dr Book of the New Sun
>>
>>9601995
i've heard it's the Ulysses of Sci Fi!
>>
Degenerates. Gold seekers, bleeding west like some helitropic plague
>>
What I really lovedabout Blood Meridian was the way Cormac reflected the bleakness of the story with the bleakness of the language. As he kept describing the characters riding on and spitting through endless bleak landscapes, I too felt like I was slogging through a bleak landscape of prose, my mind barely being able to hold interest and my soul being drained like a man being chased by comanches in the Texas mountains. Si, un buen trabajo de literatura.
>>
>>9601995
Oh, of course. No thanks.
>>
>>9602017
>>9601995
That wasn't me. The languages part sounds interesting, and I'll give it a look.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.