[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you guys ever read a book, understand almost nothing of it,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

Do you guys ever read a book, understand almost nothing of it, and feel kind of refreshingly aware of your own total fucking stupidity?

It's kind of an interesting experience. It's sort of like learning, except really, you can't call it learning, because you haven't understood anything. You've just kind of realized how spectacularly stupid you are. Which I guess is learning.

I feel enlightened. So this is education.
>>
that's me trying to read Kant, Evola, etc
>>
>>9601735
I feel like that every time I try to read a computational genetics paper.
>>
Civilization and Its Discontents
>>
>>9601735
actually, anon, the patience and the courage to stick with something a little beyond your ability to grasp are the babby steps all future scholars take. and the ego-denying honesty bodes well. //youre on /your/ way!
>>
I'm feeling this reading Jacques Ellul's The Technological Society. It's not that it isn't written lucidly or anything, it's just such a dense bombardment of reality-warping information that it has my head spinning.
>>
Pic related feels worse when you do understand it, though.

>>9601774
I found it very easy and I had read nothing by Freud.
>>
>>9603232
Being and Time isn't hard the same way Kant or Hegel is. It's just a lot of convoluted information, you need to pay attention very closely, make notes, and you'll realize how easy it is. That's how I did it. But Hegel, for instance, is ridiculously complicated. You'll probably need help understanding him, plus lots of background info. Hegel WANTED it all to be almost unintelligible. German complex.
>>
File: 73684.jpg (4MB, 2048x2842px) Image search: [Google]
73684.jpg
4MB, 2048x2842px
>>9603172

I like the way you describe it

(I'm not OP) but I will push on
>>
>>9603172
Thanks anon. I'm actually going to make this a project I think. Reading what makes me feel stupid. Learning to become stupid so that I stop sounding like I know what I'm talking about. I really don't.

Should be a fun adventure.
>>
>>9601735
That's the only way to learn, desu. When you understand everything you're not learning anything. Not a big discovery.
>>
>>9601735
That's why I don't read anything about books people recommend to me, I just read them. I've some real nutty shit, like Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect, and I've read some more interesting things like Tartar Steppe.

The naivety doesn't necessarily feel good (uncomfortable is the best descriptor). It's kind of grating after a while to be reminded time and time again you're essentially a speck of stardust and watery bacteria with limited consciousness, understanding, and comprehension.

>Otherwise it leads to much better finds and a greater appreciation for the little things in life
>Can't say Soul Surfer was any good at all for prose or, well, much of anything, but I'm certainly more grateful to have full use of my body and relatively good health after reading it
>>
>>9603232
gave this to a younger friend who was starting to hit a positive upward spiral in his life. haven't seen/heard of him since, but i hope it served him well enough.
>>
>>9603543
>positive upward spiral

bumping just to salute this thought
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.