[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good translations for pic related and also is it worth reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: gita.jpg (8KB, 170x297px) Image search: [Google]
gita.jpg
8KB, 170x297px
Good translations for pic related and also is it worth reading
>>
>>9600885
POO
>>
>>9600885
Read the Flood/Martin translation. It retains the verse structure, unlike most translations. That one in the picture is the shitty Hari Krishna version that they hand out for free, I wouldn't read it. Also yeah it's really good
>>
fuck no. that translation was made by a sect to promote their interpretation and increase their influence. in fact the only reason you came across a copy of it is because they mass produce them and distribute them en masse, much like gideons bibles.
>>
I have the version in your picture and I think it's worth reading. I have worshipped Krishna but atm I don't. Still, it gave me some good ideas to work with. Reading the Gita as It is helped my spiritual life.

Reading the Hare Krishna version of it gives you insight into how the Gita is/has been received by it's practitioners. There are of course many other sects, and you probably need to compare the translation by Srila Prabhupada with that of someone else. Still, I think it's reasonable to read a Vaisnava version of it, as Krishna is the most relevant to them. If you will, it is in the Vaisnava traditions that the Gita has had the most impact.
>>
>>9601547
>getting memed into eastern religion

OP, this guy's a faggot but he's right that the prabhupada translation is worth reading. the language might be a little overblown, but it is the standard version, though it may possibly be overtaken by the easwaran translation in the near future.

don't listen to this contrarian faggot:
>>9601459
>>
File: snapshot20120721111931.jpg (18KB, 200x145px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot20120721111931.jpg
18KB, 200x145px
I've read this,and it has a specific resonance with me:

Arjuna sitting in his chariot, losing faith in The Cause, and wondering if the same ends could be achieved by different saner means. And Krishna sitting next to him,looking at a few hundred thousand enemy soldiers not that far away,and going Hamina-Hamina-Hamina.

"Pick up that Goddamned BOW,Arjuna! You don't want to fight? Tough. Do it anyway.You are just a cog in the Machine of Destiny. Don't make me straighten you out with a HAMMER!" Then shoving his Holy Writ of Bullshit down his throat with both hands.

I LIKE Krishna, really. I liked him in the Mahabharata influencing events with a God's impersonal hand,being the penultimate Big Picture guy,ruthlessly willing to toss pawns at the fire to achieve his goals,even his best friend's son. It's how the Gods operate,and how they must.

And as Salman Rushdie said to some graduation class,"In life you will meet Big Gods,and you will meet Little Gods... DEFY THEM!"

Defy them.
>>
get a load of that autistic shitpost
>>
Asking someone else for a "rating" or a review of something before you read it is plain stupid, let alone this being done in 4chan of all places.

Read it, then make up your own mind about it.
>>
>>9600885
I like that version because it retains the sanskrit verses with a transliteration and translation
>>
>>9601459
>a religion based on texts that predate all abrahamic religions is a sect
>>
>>9602420
yes
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.