[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this a good version of Crime and Punishment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 91BGXXt9JKL.jpg (925KB, 2560x1262px) Image search: [Google]
91BGXXt9JKL.jpg
925KB, 2560x1262px
Is this a good version of Crime and Punishment?
>>
havent read it but iirc the Larissa Volokhonsky and Richard Pevear translations should be the best
>>
>>9600139
wrong. if you had done your research, you would know that P&V literally admitted to the superiority of Garnett.
>>
>>9600125
It is the best translation for C&P
>>
>>9600125
Ready's is a good translation, but that cover is embarrassingly bad.

Best translation is Revised Garnett. Don't get P&V, they're overhyped garbage.
>>
>>9600181
>Don't get P&V, they're overhyped garbage.
b-but notes from the underground
>>
>>9600125
That's an amazing cover
>>
>>9600125
Just get the Garnett version. Her translations are frequently criticized, but they're what everybody reads anyway.
>>
>>9600183
not him but I had ordered a P&V notes from the underground online but instead got the garnett version and I couldn't stand reading it, got a refund tho

so is the P&V version of notes superior?
>>
>>9600181
>>9600190

Should I get this version or should I get a copy with a less than "colorful" cover?
>>
>>9600200
i like the cover desu, gives me bloodborne vibes
>>
>>9600200
The cover is fucking fantastic
>>
File: 107844.jpg (26KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
107844.jpg
26KB, 307x475px
I just finished it. Despite it being a Penguin publication, the translation is very English. In the best possible way, I should say.

Porfiry says stuff like "yes indeedy" and the painters' and peasants' dialogue is much like what you would hear from everyday English folks. It's very entertaining when the subject of prostitutes and brothels is brought up. It reminded me of Dragon Quest 8, if any of you all have played that. Pardon my lack of a more literary precedent to compare it to. A 21st century take on 19th century dialogue.

>>9600209
It's kind of gross next to my normal Penguin editions of Dosto. Pic related. These covers are so much more chaste and interesting.
>>
>>9601565

imo, Raskolnikov is more handsome than the wretch on the cover. I think of a dilapidated yet handsome young man in tramps' clothes. The Penguin deluxe makes him look like a straight up meth head.
>>
>>9601565
>accusing dragon quest 8 as being less than literary
Gr8 b8 m8 with the dragon quest 8
>>
File: 1491050273783.jpg (74KB, 1024x798px) Image search: [Google]
1491050273783.jpg
74KB, 1024x798px
>>9600181
I like the goofy cover.
>>
>>9601573
Thats Myshkin my friend
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.