[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ripping off someones life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: rarepepe2.jpg (295KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rarepepe2.jpg
295KB, 900x1200px
Is it legal to write an entire book based on someone's life and then just change the names? How many details do I have to change?

I'm in a difficult position because I want to her about the work but also don't want her to tell me not to write it.
>>
Who cares
>>
As long as it's not slanderous it's fine, legally. I'm not sure why you'd want to though, what's your motivation here?
>I want to her about the work
Pardon?
>>
>>9598943
I want to tell her about the work, but I have a feeling she's going to be pissed off at how I've portreyed her, and/or ask for royalties
>>
>>9598952
Writing unauthorised biographies is legal in theory, but again, you have to be careful not to slander. If you do change the details so it's not about "her", then you can do pretty much anything you like. Within reason though, if you're going to take huge liberties then the changed names can't be obviously still the same people.

Why do you want to write about her though?
>>
>>9598980
Because she's lived an interesting life. It will be a fictionalization to some degree though. Its a story that spans over multiple decades and ties together two families in two different countries and her eventual relocation from South Africa to australia.
>>
>>9598938

BTFO

no suspension
no danger to work
no more hijacked phone

The Tiger is out. Yes. YES.
>>
>>9598938
writers write about their friends, family, ex-partners and so on all the time
i used to go out with a semi-well-known writer and after we split up her next novel had a character in it that was identifiably me. the character ended up dead.
>>
>>9598989
That sounds cool.
Might I suggest you do change it so it's not her name and family in the book, but dedicate it to her initials. That way she can choose whether she wants to associate it with herself or not.
>>
Likeness rights... be careful anon
>>
>>9598940
fucking this

this thread is shit
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.