[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to write a novel set in the Late Roman Republic. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: samwise.jpg (234KB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
samwise.jpg
234KB, 1200x1800px
I want to write a novel set in the Late Roman Republic.

What are the best books I could read to gain an in-depth knowledge of the period?
>>
>>9594522
Wiki
>>
How late in the Republic are you referring to?
Sulla's era? Gallic Wars? Triumvirate era?
>>
The rise and fall of the Roman Empire.
>>
>>9594553
Spanning from Caesar's younger years to the rise of Augustus.
>>
>>9594591
Is it a novel about Caesar or other historical figures in general? Are you going to spend time on the actual fall of the Republic?

You definitely need to read then
Everything written by Caesar
Everything written by Cicero
Suetonius' Twelve Caesars (Caesar and Augustus)
Plutarch's Parallel Lives, specifically Caesar, Cato the Younger, Crassus, Marcus Antonius, Cicero, Brutus, Pompey Magnus, Marius and Sulla

Those are only the Primary Sources,
>>
>>9594610
This, then get a historical overview with:
Gibbon's Decline and Fall of Rome
Durant's Caesar and Christ
A more modern history book, I have no recommendations though
>>
>>9594610
>Not Appian
>>
>>9594639
>A more modern history book, I have no recommendations though

Mary Beard's SPQR is perfectly acceptable pop history that is praised by ivy academics. Its focus on social history will help with flavor. Ignore the haters here who despise her gender and outlook, if anything use it for bibliography
>>
>>9594648
>praised by ivy academics
>good thing
Lmao if you enjoy smashing the patriarchy and learning about how Rome is an evil rich white man's paradise then read this piece of shit book. The other books mentioned cover the same material without injecting 9th wave intersectional post-feminism into it.
>>
>>9594732
i feel nothing but pity by those so blinded by their ideology that they cannot make rational arguments. OP, this is the sort of faggot I am talking about. He shrieks and roars about identity politics while practicing the same. Our only solace is that his inability to breed will guarantee his germline will wither as the fig tree.
>>
listen to Dan Carlins hardcore history on the republic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz7ExkNL1wE&list=PLXAgUuSFXylFcAzZxRS13wJrFthvdxQWw&index=2
>>
>>9594844
>He shrieks and roars about identity politics while practicing the same.
/pol/ in general really, that was a good insight.
>>
File: 1468879957175.jpg (65KB, 521x453px) Image search: [Google]
1468879957175.jpg
65KB, 521x453px
>>9594844
>Our only solace is that his inability to breed will guarantee his germline will wither as the fig tree.
I bet girls are lining up to suck your dick with this type of wit ahahahahahahahahah
>>
File: 167913.jpg (21KB, 261x400px) Image search: [Google]
167913.jpg
21KB, 261x400px
>>9594522
read a bunch of primary source documents, then read The Roman Revolution by Syme
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.