[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tortured by banal and unanswerable questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1465132008321.png (206KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1465132008321.png
206KB, 306x306px
I 100 % don't care about questions of whether aliens exist, or if God exists, or if their is life after death. But what tortures me every day is the question of what practical philosophy to have with regard to my own life and more specifically actions.

Should I work on what I want or what others deem important? Should I work on something even when I'm bored of it but know it's important? Should I forget all of this and just have fun? But what if I end up a loser because of this? Should I have junk food because it makes me feel good? Or give it up for the obvious reasons? But is self sacrifice just stupid?

It's unreal how much this shit tortures me. I want to spend every moment both relaxing and working hard to stop feeling guilty about letting down my future self.
>>
File: The Greek Way - Hamilton.jpg (42KB, 307x475px) Image search: [Google]
The Greek Way - Hamilton.jpg
42KB, 307x475px
>>9588267
Did you know there's a good chance there wont be a future self?
There's no meaning to life you are free to choose your own purpose. Or sit around doing nothing. That leads to depression and low self esteem of course.

Need something to inspire you? Why I say start with the Greeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1mTELoj6o
>>
>>9588661
>There's no meaning to life you are free to choose your own purpose.
There is meaning to life and you are not free to choose your own purpose.
>>
testing testing
>>
>>9588267
You can't ask hard questions about your life when you don't have all that data.

Or more accurately, when you can't admit all the data to yourself. Almost everyone is like this, and everyone is born self-deluding. A certain amount of it is essential for survival.

For example, most millennials do not want to be parents, but because of this they do not want to admit that they don't want to die alone in old age; it's a problem that they refuse to even imagine.

>Should I work on what I want or what others deem important?
That depends on how much you value the opinions of others.
Protip: you value them a lot. I value them a lot. Everyone is very vain, and one of the most typical poses of vanity is to pretend to be humble so that people like and respect you. Pretty convenient, if you ask me.

>>9588661
>>9589143

>There's no meaning to life you are free to choose your own purpose.
That's triple self-contradiction. Impressive.
>There's no meaning to life (assigned purpose does not exist)
>you are free to choose (you can assign purposes)
>your purpose (purposes others have assigned you exist, and presumably get first dibs)

No, there is meaning. However, it is continually assigned, reassigned, taken up by others than the originator, rejected by new originators, etc.
To say there's no meaning is to say fuck those guys, and to say you can choose your own meaning is to say don't fuck yourself over. It's just a dominance struggle. It's sub-philosophical.

Advice: ask yourself very hard, ugly, and venal questions, such as what you like to eat, do you like having money, do you want people to do as you say, etc. Then adopt or reject values as suit you. This is what everyone does already, except you will do it more efficiently and with less blundering and emotional confusion.
>>
>>9589182
>That's triple self-contradiction. Impressive.
It's a woman, probably. They are about as honest as the Jewish caricatures.
>>
File: IMG_8981.png (333KB, 500x775px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8981.png
333KB, 500x775px
>>9588267
Get a job.
>>
>>9588267
>working hard to stop feeling guilty about letting down my future self
Then do that. There are sacrifices past you took to make you who you are today, think about how much you appreciate them.

Then again if you are young and whatever future you will be more appreciative that you created some good memories
>>
You are too attached to a very narrow concept of the self and you can only find a broader appreciation of it through interface with the greater self which is humanity as such.
>>
>>9588267
Orthodox religious ritual and spiritualityis good for a persons personal well being, since they understand servitude, and how society is ranked and stuff, but it is very pre-determined, so sometimes the community needs to be avoided,since the pre-determination can often becomecompletely off point from the persons actual character
>>
>>9590208

Yeah but if I don't do hedonistic things then I am a cuck who denied myself pleasure in pursuit of pointless shit
>>
Spend a lot of time in introspection and get to know yourself. I believe these sort of answers lie within you. Self-knowledge is a hard and often frightening road but keep going for a long time and you'll find great reward.
>>
>>9590224

I acknowledhed in the subject that these are unanswerable.

If I am being brutally honest with myself, I know what I like. It's just that I am spooked by the ideas of others. That is why I try to read Dickens despite hating it.
>>
OP, you are a faggot.
>>
>>9588267
You need Stirner and Nietzsche senpai.
But honestly apatheism is fucking cancer and you should jump off a bridge,
>>
File: hawkeye-gough-large.jpg (105KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
hawkeye-gough-large.jpg
105KB, 600x500px
>>9590223
>Yeah but if I don't do hedonistic things then I am a cuck who denied myself pleasure in pursuit of pointless shit
First of all, what the fuck? You should stop listening to whoever taught you that.

Second of all, I said do things you enjoy. You need to make good memories and have new experiences so that there is something to build your personality. Something for you older self to hold onto.

"Exhiliration, pride, hatred, rage… The dragons teased out our dearest emotions.
…Thou will understand, one day.
At thy twilight, old thoughts return, in great waves of nostalgia."

-Sad rabbit chaser. Youth is where you feel these emotions the strongest.
>>
>>9590223
That's western society speaking to you. Look at the people who say this stuff before you take it to heart anon: do they really seem happy and fulfilled? They might even posturize and pretend to look so, but are they? I pity the wholly materialistic because they only see what they can have, and more often than not someone or something with more enmity and strength will come and snatch that, in due time.

I'm not saying to hate the material - a lot of pleasure can be derived from having and gaining. But don't let it dominate you, or you become the perspectiveless capitalist that has been constantly derided and beaten down through history. You need to determine what you value personally, and pursue that relentlessly. There is no beauty greater than a man devoted to his craft and passion, and little can sway you elsewhere when you have determined what that is - and don't get confused, it can be a multitude of things or something very small, like running a fruit stand. If you have no discernable talent or skill then I suggest you take normie advice and just live for yourself - enjoy what is around you because most of this world is pretty and enveloping and it's easy to lose yourself in the midst of all this, which is what you should do when you have no means greater.
>>
File: 1484338423003.jpg (128KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484338423003.jpg
128KB, 720x960px
You can't answer these question, and even worse, society does absolutely nothing to either provide an answer or alleviate the pain of not being able to know
there's no hope
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.