[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name one major poet over the entire western canon that wasn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: images (53).jpg (12KB, 347x424px) Image search: [Google]
images (53).jpg
12KB, 347x424px
Name one major poet over the entire western canon that wasn't at least bilingual.
>>
Yeats
>>
>>9585604
whitman
>>
>>9585611
>>9585622
>american """poets"""
>>
>>9585624
i'd love to tell you why you're retarded but it's so blatant that i'm sure you'll figure it out.
>>
>>9585611
>>9585622

Both spoke other languages
>>
>>9585632
Which?
>>
File: chrome_2017-06-02_08-45-10.png (43KB, 259x274px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-06-02_08-45-10.png
43KB, 259x274px
>>9585632
uh huh
>>
> major poet
> 4ft """tall"""

sorry, no
>>
>>9585644
It literally explains how the French language influenced him
>>
>>9585671
who gives a shit? OP didn't say "name a poet over the entire western canon that wasn't at least influenced by another language", he said one that wasn't bilingual. it explicitly states, in laymen's terms that even a 10 year old could understand, "There is no evidence that Whitman could actually read or speak any language other than English".

are you slow?
>>
John Clare
>>
>>9585644
>There is no evidence that Whitman could actually read or speak any language other than English.

Dropped.
>>
>>9585604
>bilingual

Lmao you mean polyglot, right? Everyone peasant can be bilingual, it's just pick some familiar language.
>>
>>9585604
Being European and bilingual is like being Indian and shitting in the street.
>>
>>9585708
>implying being bilingual has anything do to with social relevance

POO
>>
>>9585611
>Yeats

Never wrote in Irish but I believe he spoke Irish to a relative degree of fluency.
>>
>>9585604
Homer.
>>
>>9585743
Are you sure? Googling throws up this quote:

>While testifying at the trial that resulted from the Playboy riots, Yeats remarked that "I am sorry to say that I understand no Irish".
>>
>>9585749
/thread.
>>
>>9585774

Yeah, you're right. Maybe i'm confusing him with someone else.
>>
>>9585686
Ayyy my man
>>
>>9585604
me desu
>>
Literally one of the greatest poets in history, Shakespeare.
>>
>>9586963
Wait a fucking second, old shak was monolingual?
>>
>>9587095
So was Homer.
>>
>>9586963
Nope latin
>>
>>9587619
He hadst small Latin and less Greek.
>>
>>9587632
no greek at all
>>
>>9587643
According to whom?
>>
>>9586963
>>9587619
>>9587632
>>9587643

But Shakespeare would have left grammar school with a greater education than most modern classics university graduates, he would have spent all his time studying latin, greek and rhetoric. Probably he didn't give a shit after he was grown up and because Jonson was so obsessed with erudition, he highlighted it in his elegy, but I don't think the case can seriously be made that Shakespeare was monolingual.

Also wasn't french still widely known by educated Englishmen back then? I'm sure there's some french in Shakespeare somewhere - Henry VIII perhaps? Maybe it was John Fletcher that wrote those scenes.

Also-
>>9587119
>>9585749
Where's the evidence for that? I'm sure there were other languages and dialects he would've learned (if he existed)
>>
>>9587660
They didn't teached greek back then.
>>
>>9587660
Shakespeare didn't have much of an education, what with leaving school at fourteen and all that. His lack of education is one of the greatest controversies surrounding him, as some reckon that he couldn't have written as well as he did with his education, and suspect that another must have written his plays in his stead.
During his education he would have learned Latin, but as Jonson notes - he retained little of it. I really don't think the few years childhood study of the language make him bilingual.
>>
>>9587679
Do some research into his education - I know it sounds like he wouldn't have been multilingual but Grammar schools literally just made kids stand around all day speaking latin and mastering rhetoric.
>>9587662
might be right about them not teaching greek - I admit I haven't read that they did but I thought they probably would've done so.
>>
>>9585604
literally all of the greeks
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.