[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reality is the state of things. To live in reality is to know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Reality is the state of things. To live in reality is to know the state of things and to act accordingly. But as Descartes showed, we cannot prove the state of things as we perceive them to be the actual state of things. Therefore we cannot live in reality.
I beg to differ. The state of things is simply the true reality. While we cannot know what that state is, we can know the state of things as we encounter them, or the immediate order of reality.
Thirdly there is a state of things as we know them, or the factual order of reality. That is where we can live with authenticity, where we can realise ourselves.
But in order to make our factual reality our immediate reality, we first have to act according to our immediate reality. No idea, however true, based upon the factual reality can ever help in that progress.
Prisoners we are. We might know of a key, but if our cell prohibits us from ever reaching it what good does that do?

Repent nihilists of /lit/. Repent and see your errors.
>>
>>9583173
Could you make it a little vaguer and more airy fairy
>>
nigga u need jesus
>>
File: hmmmm.png (756KB, 788x801px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.png
756KB, 788x801px
>while we cannot know what that state is, we can know the state of things

what did he mean by this
>>
>>9583173
What's the difference between factual and inmediate reality?
>>
>>9583193
Well simply put, we can't know what really is. Is this all a simulation? We can never disprove that notion. Therefore we will never know for certain whether anything is real or not.

But what we can know is what the state of things here and now is. They may basically all be conjured up illusions but we can in fact know these conjured up illusions. At least on a subjective level.
>>
>>9583203
There's no need to bite the skeptical bullet.
Moore did what you are trying to say more than a century ago. Get with the times lad
>>
>>9583200
Immediate reality is all you have access to. Lets say your are an alcoholic. That is then part of your immediate reality. You might KNOW that it is dumb, but that doesnt make you dry. So you first accept that you are within the immediate reality of being an alcoholic and then you try to achieve the factual reality of "my life will be better without being an alcoholic". There might be a ton of things for you to do which do not include quitting drinking, which you have to do, before you actually can stop drinking. Maybe get a job. You simply are an alcoholic and cant stop drinking (we just suppose this of course) and you accept that and work with what you have so that then you enable yourself to move closer toward the factual reality.

Factual reality = what we know. immediate reality = what we can/must act upon
>>
>>9583211
Yah sure. To prove that there is an actual tangible reality which we can live in by collapsing the skeptics view of the world upon itself is the same as to raise your hand and say "hurr durr, look me gots a hand"

Fuck off mate
>>
>>9583227
I suggest that you read the article in question and stop making a fool of yourself.
>>
>>9583173
>Reality is the state of things.
X = Y

>To live in reality is to know the state of things and to act accordingly.
therefore Y = X

>But as Descartes showed, we cannot prove the state of things as we perceive them to be the actual state of things.
Descartes showed Y != Y

>Therefore we cannot live in reality.
therefore X != Y

>I beg to differ. The state of things is simply the true reality.
I beg to differ, X = Y

>While we cannot know what that state is, we can know the state of things as we encounter them, or the immediate order of reality.

While we cannot solve for Y, we can know that Y = Y

>Repent nihilists of /lit/. Repent and see your errors.
REPEEEEENT.

I'm not posting a counterargument or anything I'm just posting how your post turned into nonsense in my brain.

>We might know of a key, but if our cell prohibits us from ever reaching it what good does that do?
meaningful /lit/ quality material meant to be explored through storytelling in a book
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.