[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /lit/'s opinion on Saint John's College?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: gay.jpg (121KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
gay.jpg
121KB, 480x360px
What is /lit/'s opinion on Saint John's College?
>>
PEL general?
>>
Current Johnnie on summer break here. It's really intense but really rewarding. For anybody who's thinking of applying, keep in mind that it is a very small school, so if you don't click with people socially, you'll have a hard time in and out of class. Also, a lot of Johnnies become very stressed about leaving the 'Johnnie bubble' because St. John's is very much its own world. That being said, all of the students there are very passionate about reading and analyzing texts, so its a haven for that. However, it is lacking in other things typical of colleges.
>>
They fell for the memes
>>
only rejects hate it
>>
> the dining hall serves ice cream at every meal

wtf i dont respect st johns college now!
>>
Acceptance rate: 81%

B R A I N L E T
R
A
I
N
L
E
T
>>
>>9581951
What chord shape is this? Some kind of bastard G7?
>>
Thinking about going here. I have the stats for an ivy but this place looks very much so up my ally

I'd feel weird going as someone not exactly religious, though
>>
Did acid with johnnies while living in Santa Fe. They were the tolerable kids there. Btw SFUAD btfo kek!!!
>>
>>9582206
.t mark linsenmayer
>>
I visited one time. Annapolis campus. Everyone wore trench coats and smoked a pack a day.

The classes are alright. It would be nice to sit around talking about books instead of crunching through work like you'll do if you go to a difficult college. The one problem: the students seemed generally lazy, weird, tattooed... didn't seem like driven people. The greek professor I visited was great, seemed world class.

If you're really into classics or philosophy and your dream is to go to grad school, consider it. You'll be able to get a good grade, it doesn't seem that hard. Otherwise, go to a more prestigious school where you'll be able to meet rich kids who can help you get a job.

>>9582046
stop calling yourselves Johnnies, it's fucking gay
>>
>>9583401
>I'd feel weird going as someone not exactly religious, though
Don't feel weird. A lot of students tend to be atheists, agnostics, or religious in a lukewarm way. There is a thriving set of Orthodox Christians, and a Shammai community, but I think most students tend not to identify as strongly religious.
>>
>>9582239
>plato and aristotle in one year

lmao

My copy of aquinas' commentary on aristotle's physics mentioned that students at some scholastic university spend an entire year on the Physics alone
>>
>>9584510
Assuming you're a Johnie:

What do you think? Would you rather of just majored in English at Uni?
Is it hard to get into grad school coming from St. Johns due to the abscence of majors?
>>
>>9584556
Oui. I don't imagine the program to be lacking in weak points, but I'm satisfied with my education, and I'd do it all again if I could. I think the breadth and short periods we get to look at each work are one of the weaknesses, but that weakness itself seems to be related to the individual student's motivations and desire to learn from or investigate the texts. I'm not sure I could speak for all graduates, but I still read a great deal of the program texts, and find myself to have developed some confidence in interpreting them that I certainly didn't have before reading them in the program. There's something impressive about what analyzing Einstein's papers, the music of Bach's St. Matthew's Passion, and the writings on Kant and Hegel can do for one's trust in one's own abilities. I think I'd be all around more intimidated by texts outside my field if I'd gone elsewhere.

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for something that depends on specialized study, then maybe; I hear anecdotes from alumni who've gone into theoretical science programs that there is an initial hump in difficulty, but I also hear that it eventually gives way. But I do imagine that it's maybe harder to get into, say, an Analytic philosophy program, where they don't necessarily respect the program and what it's doing.

Absence of majors seems not to bother as many folks in grad programs as you'd think. Usually results in curious looks and questions.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.