[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fucked Up Hospital Lit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

File: psychiatric_hospital Odyssey.jpg (107KB, 660x305px) Image search: [Google]
psychiatric_hospital Odyssey.jpg
107KB, 660x305px
I think it was a Russian poet that once said something along the lines, "No amount of fantasy or make-believe will ever come close to the real horror that is created in real life." As in to say, that if you're writing a horror, even though you may have thought up of some edgy cool stuff like, like a crazy doctor that takes the limbs of homeless people, pales in comparison to the real history of what real doctors have done to real people.

So with that in mind, please rec some lit that left your skin crawling, and stayed with you after a few days, not because it was gross and weird, but more so because it was something that really happened. I would love to get my hands on something that is set up in a 1930 mental hospital or something. Because pretty much anything before 1980 in America, the hospitals were semi-torture palaces.

Stuff like where buildings that were supposed to house 400 people, housed 1,500.
>>
>>9580749
Bump, blyat
>>
>>9580749
>Because pretty much anything before 1980 in America, the hospitals were semi-torture palaces.

Remember that one mental hospital in New York back in the 60s that Geraldo Rivera investigated and the only light that highlighted the rooms and hallways, filled with retarded naked children, were from his camera? As if that was what inspired the Silent Hill games? And how he started crying when he would talk about it because he said it was the worst thing he had ever seen in his reporting career.
>>
>>9580749
Go work or volunteer at a hospital for a while. Try to get assigned to the intensive care unit if you really want to see people in miserable conditions. If it's realism you're after this is a better option than just reading about things that happened years ago.
>>
Blood Meridian my dude. only book I've ever read that truly unsettled me. plus, its based on real life events
>>
fallada - the drinker
about 2/3 is inside prison or mental asylum, and based on own experience
>>
>>9581398
m8 did you read more than two words of OP's post?
>>
>>9581385
OP asks for reading recommendations.
Anon suggests he go volunteer at a hospital.

This is why this board is awful.
>>
>>9580749
resurrection, by tolstoy (second half)
one flew over the cuckoo's nest
johnny got his gun
>>
>>9580749
Read Varlam Shalamov "Kolyma Tales". It's not about mental hospitals but there are some really fucked up stories
>>
>>9580749
>"No amount of fantasy or make-believe will ever come close to the real horror that is created in real life."
This is a rumor you invented. Also, you are paraphrasing Lovecraft.
>>
>>9582005
>awful
you mean great
>>
>>9582005
reading is a selfish pursuit done by nerds and poorfags with pretensions of refinement.

if he volunteers at a hospital, he'll be performing his duty as a human. and the experience will make the eventual reading that much more meaningful.
>>
>>9582133
Then why are you here and not volunteering at a homeless shelter right now?
>>
>>9581398
Ive tried to read meridian 3 times. Too boring. I like mccarthys other work too so its not his style. Guess ill pop an addy and give it another go
>>
>>9582005
One of the many reasons
>>
Cancer Ward.
>>
It didn't bother me necessarily but Orwell's essay "How the Poor Die" might be up your ally.
>>
>>9582111
Fantasy happens in real life.
>>
>>9582005
It's because of what he was asking for and the emphasis on muh reality.
>>
Ariel by Sylvia Plath is very disturbing although you have to pick up on the nuances in reference to the events that followed. In Cold Blood really disturbed me as I identified very much with Perry not in the way that I think he was somehow innocent but in the way that had a few things in my life gone differently I could have been in the exact same situation. Also google "Donny the punk" enjoy.
>>
>>9583242
http://www.jimgoad.net/pdf/prison/donny.pdf
>>
>>9583264

i feel bad for this. this is still happening? because i dont see the jail with this raw nowadays.
>>
>>9583536
I've been to prison and there were rapes but nothing like that. I have heard that in OPP New Orleans and Rikers in NYC are as brutal as that story but can't be sure as I've always done my best in those cities not to get arrested. What really got to me about the Donny story is that his mom killed herself after the whole story came out and he did it I guess to like heal but it killed his mother.
>>
>>9583561
there is a possibility that Donny was lying a Little with all the gang rape?. i dont know, i respect her suffering if that was true... but something in me dont want to believe it because all the publicity and activism he hold on .... (which is absurd and a Little unjust for my part)
>>
>>9583593
I think it is hard to believe anything that is very scary or horrific like that. you don't want to believe it but this stuff does happen. I think the guards promote rape as a method of controlling maybe the more intellectual people who wind up in there or just for revenge and sadism.
>>
>>9583611
yes, is the sadism itself, the violence of all that people who rape him, you know?. i want to understand it better... (not only the guards strategy) because it´s a Little overwhelming that 30 guys feels a deep sense of content or relieve to rape other guy till bleed and deepthroating him. its hard man. i tend to think about this things like something cold or mechanic. and the hiperhomosexual erotic scene tend me to think it´s something slightly fantasized. but i dont know, it´s horrible anyway.
>>
>>9583654
My experience with prison was pretty limited I spent most of it in solitary confinement after a fight and "attempting to incite riots". Sexuality is power perhaps the most powerful force in society. This is why communes fail because even if you eliminate the money economy you can't eliminate the sexual economy (people with sexual potency tend to dominate). Anyway the rape thing, I don't know if everyone was raping this kid and it was like totally allowed and your in jail waiting on a 10 year sentence and your shit life is even more ruined and there is nothing inside you but pain and anger maybe you would think "why not?" The point is morality is a fragile thing, perhaps it is worth fighting for because it is just so fragile
>>
>>9580749
My diary desu
>>
>>9583681
>My experience with prison was pretty limited I spent most of it in solitary confinement after a fight and "attempting to incite riots"
kek, do you mind me asking what did you get in for?
>>
>>9583681
its a good point. it´s not about the moral thing, is about what exactly they take with this?. in terms of feelings. a relieve to his anger?, a psychorevenge of your own pain in another?. pure sexual pleasure?. i want to think is something more organized in some way for a common achievement. or there is a moment when you are tired of jerk off and you start to think to rape people?.
>>
>>9583707
Possession of heroin.
>>9583715
It's all of those things at once. It definitely is not organized. It is opportunistic since most predators act on opportunity alone; there are other rapists in prison who take their time though, abusing the victim mentally or whatever until they give in. Prison was definitely like what I think Nietzsche was trying to get you to feel by reading Zarathustra (for me)
>>
>>9583735
>what I think Nietzsche was trying to get you to feel by reading Zarathustra (for me)
what you mean?. like something chaotic or cathartic or something?

i try to say organized because 20 or 30 guys being opportunistic at the same time it´s strange. or maybe it was a crazy situation. in that scenario the punk guy was really fucked up and have extremely bad luck. (he was in jail just two days, i think )
>>
>>9583772
I lost all sense of values in there. I grew up pretty normal not great but average and just assumed so much about people but really seeing people at their worst (prison is worst than being "wild" or primitive in fact) made me face the emptiness of all myths and narratives about society and even the ones i created for myself. Ultimately though being dishonest or delusional are necessary for living and I've got plenty of bullshit in my head again but at the time especially when I had this sense that I would die in there and all of existence and meaning became a focused intense point inside of me..there is nothing to recreate it. Society literally puts people into a meat grinder in a sense. Also the capacity to violence is intensified in groups this is well known. Like when there are riots and people steal and loot when they don't even really need to it is just because they can. I think the kid donny just became a victim to that.
>>
>>9583799
Also my posts about this have been pretty dumb I'm sorry I even said "literally..in a sense" logic is not my strongest quality.
>>
>>9583807
its not dumb. its pretty fine what you wrote.

from this safe space i said i would kill myself rather than face that everything is an empty fight for existence. i suppose i am the worst kind of whiny pussy for this but... what the... it´s not a kind of comradeship in jail?.
>>
>>9583842
Surprisingly yes there is quite a bit of friendship there. Before I got into the fight I played a lot of cards. My first morning some whacked out Christian kid came up to my window and just told me it would be okay. Anyway there is that but there are also places worse than hell too. It is a matter of luck because the prison guards and admins are given so much power with little oversight. Murder rape and assault are common in prisons but the public doesn't care. I did like 6 months in a cell all by myself in solitary and I was really maybe insane by the end of it. Prisons are a place society keeps subliminal it is really quite the metaphor for our selves, the parts of ourselves that we hide from everyone. There is perhaps a part of you that would rape someone in prison. Personally I think everyone has the capacity for this kind of thing in the right circumstances it comes out. Instead of understanding we just bury it all and anything that reminds us of it gets obliterated.
>>
>>9583865
most people in prisons are homophobic as fuck, the people that end up getting "raped" are usually fags who are into it, they may have been closeted on the outside and then after a year or two are like "fuck it i can wait 5 years to go back to my farce of a marriage or i can start smoking all the pole i could ever desire right now, and there ain't much else to do around here!" etc. prison rape shit is overblown to make prison seem scarier than it is, that shit is fucking boring more than anything, boring and loud, it's like bliving in a shopping mall with cells instead of stores, really boring except for the occasional chimp out, don't talk shit, and don't owe people money, and nothing is going to happen
>>
>>9583865
yes, now i understand better why they do this. at least a little. i think i dont think too much about jail. thats the problem.
anyway, what can you get about understanding that you can rape someone in prison?. the understanding is not enough, i mean, accepting it is a better defense against the possibility of doing it?. it´s the same, we are fucked.
>>
>>9583875
>usually fags who are into it
What are you basing that on? It isn't actually true it is just what a lot of homos tell themselves to justify their homofag lust. The retard violence of crackheads is to me less disgusting then the pathetic queens swole on babymama's commissary claiming "it's not gay if you're on top." If anything that's more gay.
>>
>>9583903
Well I think the understanding that we are fucked is the point. But I think there is like superficial understanding just in your head and real understanding which comes from experience and suffering or a complete loss of something
>>
>>9583911
>The retard violence of crackheads is to me less disgusting then the pathetic queens swole on babymama's commissary claiming "it's not gay if you're on top."

well i guess i didn't see that movie, i only have my own life experience to go on, not some shit a jewish fag in hollywood dreamed up
>>
By far the worst is the hamburger lady, and because of shortage right now of 'qualified technicians', e.g. technicians who can work with her and keep their last meal down, Screwloose Lauritzen and I have been alternating nights with her, unrelievedly. If you put a 250-lb meatloaf in the oven and then burned it and then followed that by propping it up on a potty-chair to greet you at 11pm each night, you would have some description of these past two weeks. Which is to say the worst I seen since viet napalms. When somebody tells you that there is a level of pain beyond which the human mind cannot retain consciousness, please tell them to write me. In point of fact this lady has not slept more than 3-5 minutes at a stretch since she came to us - that was over two weeks ago and, thanks to medical advances, there is no end in sight; from the waist (waste?) up everything is burned off, ears, nose etc - lower half is untouched and that, I guess, is what keeps her alive. I took one guy in to help me change tubes and he did alright, that is alright till he came out, then he spotted one of the burn nurses (pleasant smiling zombies) eating a can of chile-mac at the desk, and that did it: he flashed on the carpet. It is fucking insane is what it is.
>>
>>9582139
why are you asking pointless questions you stupid faggot?
>>
>>9580749
There's a great section in W&P with a Napoleon era hospital. Very vivid
>>
>>9580749
Asylum by William Seabrook

The Tiger by John Valliant

both excellent non-fiction books. Not really /lit/ I guess but worth a read
>>
A Child Called "It" by Dave Pelzer isn't set in 1950 or anything, or deals with mentally ill eerie stuff, BUT it does deal with heavy stuff and it left me rather bummed for a few days. It's about the author's childhood and how out of his three other siblings his abusive mother decided to single him out and pretty much ended up beating/poisoning the poor guy until he was 16 or so. And since it started at the age of like 7 or so, he writes about how messed up it was when she was nice to him one day and then would throw him down the stairs the next. Or how his school was starting to notice something was wrong but his cowardly father didn't stand up for him, and being the 1970 (or so) the mom said everything was ok and everyone believed it.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.