[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

where to start with this guy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: thomas bernhard.jpg (122KB, 471x591px) Image search: [Google]
thomas bernhard.jpg
122KB, 471x591px
where to start with this guy?
>>
I'd start either with Yes, Wittgenstein's Nephew, or The Loser.
>>
>>9578100
the greeks and/or my diary desu
>>
>>9578100
The first page.

Loser, Correction or Old Masters.
>>
File: 1495272545285.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1495272545285.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
>>
>>9578126
Don't start with Correction
>>
>>9578100
The Loser or Corrections
>>
Is that Edward Snowden?
>>
>>9578138
Correction: Start with Correction.
>>
>>9578100
The Loser or The Lime Works

I'm halfway through Correction as my 5th Bernhard and I'd definitely say it's a terrible starting point since you'd pretty much have to be entirely on board with what Bernhard does to find it bearable at all.
>>
Maybe Lime Works (Kalkwerk), it's the most humorous I've read and a very good representation of author's recurring themes.

An absolute must is Correction.

>>9578126
Don't start with Old Masters. It's the most boring.
>>
What are some books like Correction where the main character logically arrives at suicide as the answer for their problems?
>>
it's about time someone made a Bernhard chart.
>>
>>9578366
He's not a particularly chart-friendly author because a lot of his books are very similar to one another in terms of how they're written and what they're about.
>>
>>9578265
Travesty by Hawkes

It's a murder-suicide though.
>>
>>9578265
All of Bernhard's books

>>9578366
Yeah all his books are very similar as >>9578413 this anon said. Extinction should be read last as it's his last book and he knows it but otherwise one can jump in pretty much wherever.

Don't start with Correction or Extinction. That's really all I gotta say.
>>
>>9578142
Looks like Assange
>>
>>9578265
The Floating Opera is kind of like that, but the MC settles on a mass killing
>>
File: IMG_3801.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3801.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
So why haven't you read Bernhard's master work yet?
>>
>>9578741
that's his worst novel though
>>
>>9579001
He's just being a memer.
>>
I get the feeling no one on lit has actually read Bernhard
>>
>>9579397
I've read Frost, Gargoyles, The Lime Works, and The Loser. I'm sure at least a handful of others here have at least read The Loser if not a couple of other books by him. He's great, but there just isn't a whole lot to discuss when it comes to Bernhard because his work is fairly self-explanatory.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.