[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anyone here actually know how to use a semicolon

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: C_AY_0IWsAAZdS7.jpg (38KB, 930x842px) Image search: [Google]
C_AY_0IWsAAZdS7.jpg
38KB, 930x842px
does anyone here actually know how to use a semicolon
>>
It separates related but distinct clauses within a single sentence. It's a more concrete separation than a comma, but a less concrete separation than a period.

Those are the basics. Beyond that, you just sort of have to feel it out. You'll get better with practice.
>>
>>9576220
explain that picture
>>
>>9576228
lol
>>
no;
>>
>>9576220
>I was fapping to a loli doujin; I wondered whether the sixth grader was ten or eleven.
Something like that?
>>
File: tru.jpg (76KB, 648x864px) Image search: [Google]
tru.jpg
76KB, 648x864px
>>9576228
someone built a bot to make memes from random images
https://twitter.com/shitpostbot5000?lang=en
>>
maybe ;)
>>
>>9576228
you rename your recycle bin to anime as a last ditch attempt at proving to him you are not a normie
>>
>>9576467
fucking kek
>>
It's difficult to explain the semi-colon; it links two sentences that could be separate sentences but are related and would flow better without the large pause of a period.
>>
>>9576220

>he thinks English punctuation is standardized or even meaningful

kek
>>
>>9576220
Not really ;_;
>>
The important part isn't knowing how to use a semicolon; the important thing is the sense to avoid the semicolon.
What I mean is that the semicolon should be used after an unimportant statement, and before an important statement for separation; but ideally the semicolon shouldn't be used at all.
>>
>>9576695
Your second use is an example of obnoxious, incorrect usage. "Ideally" begins that sentence well enough to not require a semicolon because "but" is extraneous. If you can rewrite or otherwise separate two lines combined by semicolon and have it be perfectly coherent, you should always do so.
>>
>>9576725
I think he did it on purpose; both his semicolons can be replaced with commas.
>>
Semicolons are middle-class because you have to understand writing enough to use them, but understand it badly enough to use it. If they were eliminated from English nothing of value would be lost for anybody except programmers.

In situations where I am having trouble dealing with commas, particularly if I'm trying to write down a specific rhythm of speech or list off large amounts of information, is the only time I consider using them.

"Chad has slept with ten girls; OP, zero."

- Ok if you're trying to get a sentence to have a certain pace and syllable count.

"New York, America; Britain, England; Paris, France."

- Ok for allowing you to cram in most list based information into sentences.
>>
Yes; I learned how in school.
>>
>>9576817
hahaha u idiot
>>
>>9576841
he's not wrong though
>>
>>9576220
Semicolons are my favorite punctuation desu
>>
If they're good enough for Waifu Woolf they're good enough for me
>>
I see no reason to be scared of using the tools we've been given to express ourselves. Though neither am I going to abuse them in vain.
>>
>>9576220
;^)
>>
>>9576220
>>9576227

Why the fuck do you humor this faggot? Google it holy shit. If you don't know how to use a semicolon kindly fuck off back to high school. What the fuck.
>>
>>9576220
Yes; no; maybe; I don't know; can you repeat the question?
>>
>>9576228
i thought it meant that the school shooter had found you and you were basically fucked anyway, so in your last moments of life you tell the shooter that anime is trash, because he's probably some sperg that loves anime.
>>
>>9576228
You restore the anime you 'deleted' because you were on the path of becoming more normal, only to revert back to it because you know only faggots like school shooters watch anime.
>>
>>9576467
>putting anime in the trash where it belongs
>claiming not to be a normie
>>
>>9577793
no dummy the guy has no anime on his computer but he renames his recycle bin to pass it off as a folder
>>
>>9576220
>like so right?
Dear Diary,
Today I decided to adress you, as you can see, as a German would; capitalised.
>>
>>9576220
I don;t.
>>
>>9577923
There's no pulling the wool over your eyes.
>>
File: 220px-Herman_Melville[1].jpg (10KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Herman_Melville[1].jpg
10KB, 220x330px
>>9576220
They're basically just commas, dude.
>>
>>9577943
No, that needs a colon.
>>
>>9577237
this is the most proper usage
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.